Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G3X (merged)

I think this is the usual thing which most manufacturers do: sell very similar products (often differentiated only by software changes) at different prices, to create a range of products, with entry level ones, mid range ones, and high end ones.

The “cheap” ones are aimed at the homebuilt market, and often sold without an 8130-3 but actually an 8130-3 is included because nobody bothered to take it out of the box. I bought a Sandel EHSI “with an experimental harness and no 8130-3” like that

You have to do this to protect the whole market, not just the fact that certified boxes need installers to install them (in most cases) and the installer margins need to be protected.

EDIT: the AML list is different (smaller) for the G3X. For example the Socata TB is not on it; this could be due to it being too tall.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are a number of things which can justify the price difference, the biggest being lack of some integrations (some autopilots, weather, radar), and the fact the G3X is effectively 5y old technology (slower CPU and screen). There other stuff (no HSI map) but they’re more gadgety than anything, IMHO.

Garmin effectively has taken care of the market segmentation by limiting the G3X to non-FIKI aircraft…

EGTF, LFTF

No DME and ADF as well?

EGTR

Does anyone know where can I find the Garmin G500txi AML list to compare it with the G3X one?

LRIA, Romania

I did some googling. The TXI one is SA02571SE but nowhere can I find the PDF of this STC.

Assuming your airframe class qualifies (as posted above), the more general answer, looking around the US sites (there are almost zero installations in Europe of either) seems to be what sort of connectivity you require. The G3X is much more limited. For example anyone with a “legacy” autopilot (which is anything other than the very latest from Garmin or possibly Avidyne) cannot use the G3X.

Found this on a US site:

The following was posted in the US by an official Garmin social media guy:

Administrator
Administrator

Socata TBs are on the AML.

An interesting installation challenge, to say the least, and would it be legal for IFR?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Socata TBs are on the AML.

An interesting installation challenge, to say the least, and would it be legal for IFR?

The other question is if it actually makes sense to install that on more advanced a/c like TB-20.
No DME/ADF integration etc.
Plus the total cost (with installation) difference vs. G500 – not sure if it is worth it…

EGTR

I have one (+G5 +GFC500]) in my Mooney and love it. I simply kept the ADF and DME – no big deal. I saw a DME indication in a G3X experimental pilots guide, so they probably work on that integration.
The G500 is a lot more expensive … you pay extra for synthetic vision, GAD43 etc..
The problem with the TB20 is that it can‘t provide attitude for the legacy autopilots.
The system really shines together with the GFC500.

With the latest software the G3X touch has
- remote audio panel support
- EIS data streaming and you don‘t need a FS510 for that

Last Edited by Sir_Percy at 27 Feb 20:27

New Smart Glide software for the G3X – can’t wait to try this in my RV12!

[ YT URL fixed – see here ]

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message