Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft tug (merged)

PA28 Electric Mover

Has anyone got any recommendations or links for an electric mover / towbar suitable to helping move a PA28-161 in and out of hangar? Some of our club members struggle a little when solo so something to assist is required. I have seen some based on cordless drills as well? The hangar is fairly tight so nothing too powerful!

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

It would depend on the actual nose wheel attachment method.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In a small hangar or a shared hangar I find a tug with a lazy Susan plate going under the nose wheel the best way. You can turn the aircraft in a small space without turning the nose wheel so there is no stress on it.

France

magyarflyer wrote:

i use a robotow with an extra lithium battery i can get usually 3-4 tows out of hangar with one charge
its about 1300 us dollars a bit hard on snow

Hi,
How much is the weight of the Robotow? I am considering buying an electric tow, and thinking about the Robotow or Magic Tow (if they still exist)
Bad side of Robotow might be: customs, transportation costs, warranty.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

I just bought one of these for a PA46. It is awesome. From Best Tugs in the US. www.besttugs.com. They make tugs for all different size aircraft.

If you go this route it is IMPERATIVE to get the “lazy Susan” option. Allows you to move the aircraft in very limited spaces.

It was sent from the US only a few weeks after ordering and got here in a dew days.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

@Buckerfan, can’t say much about the tug, but the plane looks nice! :)

EGTR

Hi,

I’m on the search for an electric towbar for our TBM. We just need a very simple one to pull it out of the hangar and push it back in. Less than 10m trip.

After reading several posts on the forum I have shortlisted the products to:
-Redline sidewinder
-Tow flexx TF-2

Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

I have a Tow Flexx TF1. Does what it promises. Pulling is easy but pushing is a bit harder since the nosewheel wants to turn.

If I had the budget I’d definitely get a tow with a lazy Susan.

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

have a Tow Flexx TF1. Does what it promises. Pulling is easy but pushing is a bit harder since the nosewheel wants to turn.

If I had the budget I’d definitely get a tow with a lazy Susan.

Thanks for your reply. We just need to pull/push in a straight line for 10m max. If you use a lazy Susan, isn’t there a risk of over turning the nose wheel?
Perhaps, installing a lock on the pedals could be a solution?

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

The whole purpose of a Lazy Susan is to make sure your nosewheel doesn’t turn…. If a LS is not an option then a sidewinder or TF is a decent alternative because you can “feel” the limits.

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message