Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tailwheel not castoring

I had a bit of a hard landing on tar today and now the tailwheel is not castoring past the indent point on either side when attempting a sharp turn during taxi, the wheel gets to the indent (I guess about 20 or 25 degrees) then stays there and kind off skips/slides round, usually it would click out and go to full castoring, Anyone any ideas of what I can do to test/fix this at home or is this a shop visit?

Farm strip in Angus Scotland

Further investigation reveals the tit has sheared of the lockpin, busy now fashioning a replacement tit

I'm assuming it's probably a Maule tail wheel, in which case the unlock mechanism is sImple, self contained and pretty much inspectable, if a little crude. There's an unlock pin that's depressed by rotation. You could lift the tail, disconnect the tail wheel springs, clean and lubricate the mechanism and exercise it left/right to see that operates smoothly both ways. Parts are available if needed. That said, with a Maule there is always some resistance to unlocking and a Scott or clone unlocks more smoothly and lasts longer.

Edit - sorry, posted before seeing the update. Maule parts are available but myself I'd consider installing a Scott or clone if listed on the Type Certificate or STC'd.

Thanks Silvaire, In the first instance i,ve got the local blacksmith making a new tit for the lockpin and will install it tonight and have ordered a replacement from aircraftspruce ( did not know how long it would take to get here and i want to fly this weekend !!) I think i will upgrade, the assembly as it's a stock Maule unit and I have Tundra tyres on the mains, so the tail is getting a good beating landing in stubble fields etc, looks like the Scott is the way to go.

Alaska Bushwheel is the Scott clone...

Maule aircraft are listed on the STC list.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message