Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100UL (merged thread)

Why it can’t go via blanket CS-STAN like UL91?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I guess every aircraft manufacturer for every possible engine combination will have to STC it. That would be a nightmare.

EBST, Belgium

EASA may sit on papers untill aircraft gathers lot of “safety data” following FAA approval but I doubt they would go very granular on engine & airframe, again that is not what they did for the other “European Unleaded Avgas Fuels”? and “Auto Fuels”?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jun 17:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

EAA and others long ago did STC’s for many (most?) common airframe/engine combinations to use Autogas, for which none of those planes were originally certified. It was an achievable effort, and would likely be easier for a dedicated aircraft fuel.

My plane got an Autogas field approval in that period, not an STC. It’s the only one of its type FAA certified to use 1980s non-alcohol Autogas. That’s no use to me today, but it’s a fact. As I recall from looking at the paperwork it was done by analogy to another type, maybe a PIper with the same engine and similar pumps and tanks. No detailed test data was submitted.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jun 16:52

LeSving wrote:

There is absolutely nothing preventing anyone to keep 330l can on a small trailer.

Muaaah. Airport fire protection regulations 100% prevent us from doing that. Even storing 10l for the tug (before electric tugs became usable / cost-efficient) was approved only after very very very stiff discussions.

ELLX

With 31 years of using supermarket car petrol in O200 engines, I’m using Avgas in case the alcohol damages the fuel tank selling.
I’m told the alcohol is expensive, and some batches don’t actually have any.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

GAMI does have STCs – for 600 airframes. But not an “AML” STC.

In theory a US STC ought to be “transportable” to an EASA STC. Or so everybody keeps saying

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Europe bans TEL from 2025

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1472963

Looks a bit existential for 100LL?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

This German AOPA article addresses the main issues.

As far as we know, however, the mineral oil industry is willing to submit the applications and are also holding initial talks with the authorities in order to submit an application for continued use of TEL by the application deadline on November 1, 2023. Should these applications be rejected, then the production of Avgas 100LL within the EU would no longer be guaranteed after May 1, 2025. After talks with the responsible department in the EU Commission (DG GROW: Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs), we assume that such applications for the use of critical substances will be regularly approved with careful justification.

I spoke to Warter Fuels at EDNY 2022 and they said exactly this.

However, as always, any regulation which hits one person is a revenue creator for another. One EASA STC developer, close enough to EASA to almost work there, posted “The number of aircraft actually grounded by a TEL ban with no chance of adaptation is negligible.” which is obviously untrue, then adding “If you are interested in [an STC] for your M20J, we are always open to projects. Inquiries to [email address]”

The same happened with ROHS, which did countless billions of € of damage to the European electronics industry. The electronics forums quickly filled up with product designers saying ROHS is a wonderful opportunity to sweep away old product lines (the most efficient product to manufacture, usually, with R&D written off long ago) and create exciting work (and most importantly more stuff for their CV and Linkedin profile) for full time big company employees. And 50% of the pages in the trade mags I get at work are adverts for compliance related equipment

The Brussels ban on lead in solder was however different to the 100LL proposed ban, in that lead free soldering was possible. It was just a very expensive obstacle, and in some cases technically difficult. In the end there were exemptions (the famous “control and monitoring equipment” one, medical, “internet switching”, and of course military for good reasons (very long required shelf life)) which gave everyone another 10-15 years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Should these applications be rejected, then the production of Avgas 100LL within the EU would no longer be guaranteed after May 1, 2025.

But the import of 100LL into the EU will still be possible.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message