Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Obtain the CN (Certificate of Airworthiness) with an expired ARC

Hi all,

Since October 2023, I have been in the process of registering my old Cessna 150 Aerobat in Italy. My Cessna, which had an Irish registration, has now been moved to Italy, so I am changing the registration to an Italian one. Unfortunately, the process has taken longer than expected, and the old ARC has expired. I am now stuck in this scenario, as ENAC requires a valid ARC to release the CN, and the workshop needs a CN to release the new ARC. It seems that the parties involved are not communicating with each other, so my plane has been stuck in the hangar since October. I don’t understand why the workshop needs authorization from ENAC to release an ARC if the aircraft has undergone an annual inspection and been inspected by the party that issues the ARC.

Have any of you experienced a similar scenario or have any advice? Honestly, I don’t know how to get out of this situation. Also, is it possible to sell an aircraft in this situation? I have the certificate of property but not the ARC and the CN, so I am considering selling it to eventually solve the problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

Italy, Italy

haloaste wrote:

My Cessna, which had an Irish registration, has now been moved to Italy, so I am changing the registration to an Italian one.

You could have kept it on irish registry as both Ireland and Italy are EASA members. Why did you decide to change?

ENAC requires a valid ARC to release the CN

What’s a CN?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What’ a CN? What’s an ARC? What’s an ENAC? YUTMAFMTF or You Use too Many Acronyms For Me to Follow.

KUZA, United States

CN – Certificato di Navigabilità = Airworthiness Certificate

Changing to I-reg for no pressing reason must be one of the worst decisions one could ever make.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

CN is certificate of Airworthiness
ARC is Airworthiness Review Certificate which is release annually after the annual inspection by the workshop
ENAC is the italian aviation authority

I have changed the registration because it costs money to have a company upthere to keep the aircraft with irish reg

Italy, Italy

Something get messed-up initially if you have an Irish CoA (Certificate of Airworthiness) but an Italian CoR (Certificate of Registration).
Did you get a Export CoA at the time when you de-registered it with the Irish CAA ?

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I de-registered the aircraft from IAA and they sent me the confirmation only, I don’t think I have any export Coa.
Do you mean EASA form 27? Who supposed to file this document?
As far as i know, this form has to be compleated for aircraft that must be transfer to a registry of extra EU

Last Edited by haloaste at 10 May 13:22
Italy, Italy

Everybody (read: some extremely prominent forum personalities) has been saying for years that an intra-EU transfer is just a simple paper exercise

I knew that is not the case because the importing CAA can and does check whether e.g. STCs have been applied legally. One chap’s plane was approximately halved in value after one of these.

“UE” = EU? Italy and Ireland are both EU. Why would you need an export CofA?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Why would you need an export CofA?

There is no need indeed, both countries are European (replying to xtophe)

Italy, Italy

been saying for years that an intra-EU transfer is just a simple paper exercise

I ran into a guy at Cannes a couple of years ago who was just about to make his first flight in a fairly new SR22 in a year. That was how long it had taken to transfer from Spain to France. I asked him why he didn’t just keep it EC and he said it was expensive. Though whether expensive enough to outweigh a year of downtime, I don’t know.

LFMD, France
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message