Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Seeking a written-off or otherwise unairworthy SEP in the EU

Does anyone know of a heavily damaged or otherwise unairworthy SEP offered for sale in the EU for a good price? We need one to convert into an engine test cell, so the only thing that has to be in reasonable shape is the nose part from the firewall forward. Ideally a PA-28, C182, AA-5 or MS.89×. Also looking for a conical engine mount.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There are several on planecheck. Look for “project” airplanes. (easiest make it show all airplanes and sort by price.)

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 21 May 10:11
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver, that was the first place I searched.

In the absence of one lying in your yard, would it not be easier (almost better) to weld up a customised rig on wheels, that can host an engine?

United Kingdom

GA_Pete, we even have an enclosure that used to serve as a test cell for a different engine family, but it needs lots of other parts that would be present in an aircraft: engine mount, fuel system, oil cooler, pressure and temperature sensors, exhaust piping, and most importantly, air deflectors creating a downward airflow (without them, a Lycoming/Continental will overheat in no time flat).

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 21 May 15:25

Ah understood.
There are sometimes PA28 or 172 fuselage’s broken at our field but I can only imagine it being a pain to sort out getting it back paperwork and physically.
If you think not, I can ask, but it wouldn’t be for free.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete, thanks, though if it’s in the UK, then it will be a pain to transport and clear customs into the EU.

The persistent problems with clearing Customs into the EU appear to exist if nobody is in charge of the “package”. Then the Customs office just takes the p1ss and chucks it to one side. It is a “unofficial brexit punishment policy”. That is why airmail UK → EU almost doesn’t work nowadays; nobody is driving it. It’s like a message in a bottle. But the couriers e.g. DHL UPS etc work fine – because they are paid to push your package along. They had the same problems as airmail originally but they sorted it after a month or so.

If you ship something sizeable and use a proper shipper, it should work ok. Especially something big like this, which will go in a container, or better still in a road vehicle driven door to door.

I think there are some around EGKA. There is one PA28 or similar which is bio-degrading, a bit more each time I walk past it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What about aircraft breakers? There’s at least 1 in the UK.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

There should be bits here, but in UK.
http://www.nalsonaviation.com
Might be best to phone.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message