Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 landing gear indicator lamps

Soldering or crimping

BTW is it possible to extract that whole little panel with the lamps, as shown above, without gaining access to the back of it? I expected that to be an absolute bastard of a job.

If it can be extracted then anything is possible. If you can extract the lamps then you can see what they are.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Soldering isn’t best option. It get’s hard and can crack. It should be crimped but by using proper tool and technique, it will never fail.
Anyway, using of those push-on automotive contacts without any mechanical protection is just joke.

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Thank you. This is the whole lamp I think not just the bulb that is inside.

LFPE

I think this is the light:
Part Number: Z00.N7922710202
Nomenclature: SADAR INDICATOR LIGHT 169507145-15

Zs.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

I have wondered about those lamps.

Hello
Do you the reference of the bulbs that are inside the lamps? I think as per IPC the whole lamp has to be replaced?

Thank you

LFPE

Clipperstorch wrote:

Adding a little lamp test button would be much more clever than forcing pilots to switch lamps while flying a busy traffic pattern, IMHO.

Adding a lamp test button can tell you if the lamp is broken, but if it is you will be none the wiser about the status of that gear leg.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The TB20GT, at least, has a TEST button for the gear lamps

So, probably, a failure mode where a lamp does not illuminate with the test button, but there is a real gear fault, is unlikely.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

The PA28R and PA32R have a clever design where you can replace the lamps from the front of the panel. Action #2 if you don’t get three greens is to swap the lamp which is not lit with one of the other ones. This would not have helped Thomas, of course.

Adding a little lamp test button would be much more clever than forcing pilots to switch lamps while flying a busy traffic pattern, IMHO. The TB20 already has an annunciater test button but apparently it isn’t connected to the gear indicator lamps. (Good to know. I was under the impression that it is but only ever have pressed it while on the ground.)

EDQH, Germany

Regarding to cable connection.Yes, vibration. A soldered free running cable at the end of solder joint could be problem.
But all the connection must be fixed by cable tie. By the way we have a lot of solder Connections in our planes.
Sometimes it is easier to find out a cable break than a bad crimp-connection.

Berlin, Germany

Not a general recommendation as such AFAICS (I know specific IMs or MMs call for crimping and specific tools) but see the two links above.

Administrator
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message