Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Listening to the radio on the ADF

That’s amazing.

The old radios (which lots of people had in Czechoslovakia, but had to be careful with who saw them) had these old station names printed on the dials.

Of course no radio would have Voice of America or BBC on it – straight to jail

One needed more power because the communists were jamming these.

I would expect an ADF to receive any station which uses AM. That is how the ident is encoded.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

There’s apparently a station in Hungary and maybe a couple in Saudi Arabia that still put out 2MW. Link

BBC Radio 4 still puts out half a megawatt on 198kHz long wave from Droitwich. There’s an anecdote floating around that Royal Navy subs surface and check 198 periodically as a check that the UK hasn’t been destroyed. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know.

Andreas IOM

It forms one of the validation steps. If an order to launch is decoded, they check Radio 4, and if broadcasting, they do additional checks.

Administrator

I replaced my ADF with a much younger model due to a fading display, and BBC Radio 4 is now perfectly listenable to. Problem solved ANT as suggested by Tumbleweed is noticeably better. I’ll have a play around and find what’s interesting in the 200-1799kHz range.

The Pooleys radio navigation book says it’s very unprofessional

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Replacement with a younger model can turn out to be very expensive.

Administrator

Back in the day you could receive BBC4 on MW at typical GA FL all the way to Lausanne. There was probably also an MW station broadcasting the test matches. Ex Kipper fleet crew (Coastal Command) seem to have a high proportion of cricket fans :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message