Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestions on cheap mode S transponder

Has anybody in here actually tested the TailbeaconX first hand? and would like to share the experience. Thx.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

arj1 wrote:

@Airborne_Again, the link I’ve sent was not CofA, but re: PtF aircraft – for these xAA can request as they please.
Mode-S is required for some CAS crossings and for all TMZs.

Ibra wrote:

PtF aircraft are usually non-EASA types and as such they are not subject to EASA rules, they always had to comply with NAA requirements

I don’t think NCO rules apply to LAA PtF types? before and after CAA/EASA split?

This is not an EASA regulation, it is a “Single European Sky” (Eurocontrol) regulation so it should apply in the whole Eurocontrol area for any aircraft – Annex 1 or non-Annex 1. If you read it, you can see that it does not refer to the EASA Basic Regulation which all EASA regs do.

Of course, after Brexit the UK – and thus the LAA – can do what it pleases.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Dec 07:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

the link I’ve sent was not CofA, but re: PtF aircraft – for these xAA can request as they please.

PtF aircraft are usually non-EASA types and as such they are not subject to EASA rules, they always had to comply with NAA requirements

I don’t think NCO rules apply to LAA PtF types? before and after CAA/EASA split?

They are not even subject to SERA !

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Dec 20:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Axelaxe
You probably were able to strike a super deal thanks to almost 5 pages of help and counselling…

If not, you might have a chance of finding what you’re looking for, at the price you envision, in European UL, glider or homebuilt forums.
There are quite a few around, and it seems almost every EU country has a few of those, examples:
Helmuts UL Seiten
or
Segelflug.de
or
EAS Marketplace

Good luck!

PS
My Garmin 328 sold pretty quickly for €500 when I redid my panel 3 years ago… wonder why. Ok, I’m not greedy

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

On the other hand, there is no Standard Change for installations of mode A/C transponders, so you would need an STC or Modification approval. But likely this is country dependent.

What is certainly country dependent is whether mode S is required in flight. I don’t see how how a country (in EASA-land) could ban the mere installation of mode A/C.

@Airborne_Again, the link I’ve sent was not CofA, but re: PtF aircraft – for these xAA can request as they please.
Mode-S is required for some CAS crossings and for all TMZs.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Apparently not although many people did believe that.

The EU regulation about transponder requirements (1207/2011 with changes) only requires aircraft used for IFR to have mode S transponders. There is no mention of an ban on installing mode A/C transponders.

On the other hand, there is no Standard Change for installations of mode A/C transponders, so you would need an STC or Modification approval.

But likely this is country dependent.

What is certainly country dependent is whether mode S is required in flight. I don’t see how how a country (in EASA-land) could ban the mere installation of mode A/C.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder what @wigglyamp thinks of that. It is from 2009 though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

According to LAA, PtF aircraft must have Mode-S:
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/Consultation/ModeS%20Sub%20Docs/New_Rules.html
“The CAA will not approve a new installation of Mode A or A/C so Mode S is it.”

EGTR

Apparently not although many people did believe that.

But likely this is country dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And for an uncertified aircraft you can just install a KT76C or similar.

Are you actually allowed to do that? My understanding was that for any new TXP installation you have to install Mode-S. Is that incorrect?

EGTR
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message