Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestions on cheap mode S transponder

Hi!

I am looking for a cheap mode-s for my ultralight gyro. Any suggestions?

Sweden

A used Garmin?

Or new TRIG TT21?

EGTR

I have a Trig TT21. Support by Trig is excellent. The only problem needing support was at installation, misconnection.
BUT: in solo operation any transponder where each digit is chosen separately by rotating a knob means much more time head-down than just pressing a number button, as with larger transponders, including Trig models.
PS I would consider the ADS-B upgrade situation when choosing.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 22 Nov 20:24
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Trigg TT31 for anyone who has a KT76 installed. It’s plug and play.

Otherwise TT 21.

I also would strongly suggest that only ADS-B capable Transponders should be installed these days.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Trig TT31 is not ADS-B capable when installed in a King tray.

Among ULs, the KTX2 is a classic.
Link

LFOU, France

Silvaire wrote:

That depends. The “King tray connector” of a TT31 has one RS232 input. That means that if you have a parallel altitude encoder then you can connect the GPS to that RS232 port and you will get ADS-B out. (We have that precise setup in one of our aircraft.) If you have a serial encoder, then indeed you need a Trig tray with the second connector for the GPS data.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Nov 07:26
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Q is why would a gyro want a Mode S. Is there any European airspace where a gyro could fly and which requires Mode S?

ADS-B, in or out, is not mandatory anywhere in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

It worked in my original installation.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The Q is why would a gyro want a Mode S. Is there any European airspace where a gyro could fly and which requires Mode S?

Some countries like Germany require mode S for VFR. Sweden does not, but for a new install in a SE-reg it makes sense to take a mode S transponder anyway.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Nov 09:57
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message