Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestions on cheap mode S transponder

Airborne_Again wrote:

Is there EASA approval for it? Or is it covered by a Standard Change?

It has an EASA STC since spring.

LSZK, Switzerland

The Skybeacon X is EASA STC‘d? Or do you mean the AV-30?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

The Skybeacon X is EASA STC‘d? Or do you mean the AV-30?

It looks like you’re right, @Snoopy. On their web site the tailBeaconX has UK and Brazil STC besides the FAA STC, but there is no EASA STC on the list at the moment. The AV-30-C lists the EASA STC for that unit.

Last Edited by chflyer at 05 Dec 19:31
LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

tailBeaconX

Even if it was, I still don’t understand the excitement with the product. You have to have a control heat as, which all in would cost more than $3K. For that money you can get your cheap transponder for microlight twice.

EGTR

So, what’s the cheapest mode-s transponder available? Anything off the beaten path we missed?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

So, what’s the cheapest mode-s transponder available? Anything off the beaten path we missed?

The cheapest I found were:
Refurbished on gps.co.uk at around £1200 for a Garmin 330 and the new ones are Trig TT21, TQ Avionics (formerly Dittel) KTX2S V2 (just under £2K) and Funke, ~ same price.

EGTR

Yes, surely the cheapest txp will be a secondhand one.

There is a load of really cheap stuff around on Ebay. And for an uncertified aircraft you can just install a KT76C or similar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And for an uncertified aircraft you can just install a KT76C or similar.

Are you actually allowed to do that? My understanding was that for any new TXP installation you have to install Mode-S. Is that incorrect?

EGTR

Apparently not although many people did believe that.

But likely this is country dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

According to LAA, PtF aircraft must have Mode-S:
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/Consultation/ModeS%20Sub%20Docs/New_Rules.html
“The CAA will not approve a new installation of Mode A or A/C so Mode S is it.”

EGTR
Sign in to add your message