Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

QFE not supported by Garmin GI275

DAVID C

I would take a guess you are flying at Brize, a place that has rather given up on QFE due to the large amount of commercial airline traffic most of who don’t know what QFE is.

A school local to me tried to get all instructors to standardise on QFE for circuits and QNH outside of the circuit. The 3 ex military instructors all refused and insisted on the use of RPS and as they were ex military they obviously knew best.

I would take a guess you are flying at Brize, a place that has rather given up on QFE due to the large amount of commercial airline traffic most of who don’t know what QFE is

Yes Brize has Delta airspace (CTR defined with QNH) and managed to Civvy ATC standards…I think PAR or VFR flying in RNAS Culdrose or RAF Wittering with Golf MATZ (defined with QFE) are better examples?

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Nov 10:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

October 2022, “Lossie Approach”, the callsign of Lossiemouth Radar, LARS, asked for my altitude on ###QFE on initial contact.
When off-circuit I am given RPS by Inverness. On return I am given QNH and QFE.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

QFE is something we learn in PPL and IR theory with the other Q-codes, it can help to explain QNH, and it is definitely used in the question banks, but I have never used it operatively, so I wouldn’t mind.

ESMK, Sweden

Military visual circuits, and PAR, and civilian airfields under Class A with an LOA (eg White Waltham) use QFE for height in the ATZ (not altitude btw).

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 14 Nov 07:06
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Which begs the question why dont white Waltham drop QFE altogether and just use QNH.

I would think that the reason GI275 has the QFE restriction and the G5 not, is that G5 is not certified as primary altimeter. The GI275 is.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I think flying with the QFE is a little obsolete:
- It makes it hard to fly airspaces in vicinity of the airport correctly
- It makes it harder to avoid traffic in vicinity of the airport
- It does not work if the runway is not quite close to sea level simply because the scale can not do it, this alone is a reason not to use it.
- It makes it harder to avoid terrain close to the airport

On the plus side it is a rather fool proof way to fly down to the runway. I can see how this was a great idea when a bunch of 19year old came home from a long bombing run using old school avionics in fog, maybe at night. Airspace did not matter, southern UK airfields are close to sea level, not much terrain to hit. But today it is a local specialty likely to cause trouble with visitors or mixed VFR/IFR traffic.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I agree; QFE is simply unsafe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message