Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acorn Welding (and AWI-AMI, and Gomolzig) opinion?

Hello
I am to replace both tail pipes on my 182 and I am looking at Acorn Welding products (FAA PMA).
They use same Stainless Steel .035 as Cessna.
Price is significantly better.
Any experience with this company ?
Kind regards
Alexandre

It seems AWI-AMI also offers PMA parts.

I have not used Acorn but AFAIK they are a good company.

They do the standard thing whereby you get around the need for PMA or STC, by you supplying them your old exhaust and they “repair” it, by manufacturing a whole new exhaust which incorporates some part of your old one

I had discussions with them recently about getting a whole new TB20 exhaust, and one which avoids the poorly designed and extremely pricey Socata exhaust clamps. Mine, claimed by Socata to be made of inconel, is actually mostly stainless. Here and here. They could make it all in Inconel but it would cost more and I got the impression he wasn’t very keen.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quote I had discussions with them recently about getting a whole new TB20 exhaust, and one which avoids the poorly designed and extremely pricey Socata exhaust clamps.

We finally got ours back from Gomolzig/ACS Colombia. Very good work and also now removes the need for the Socata clamps. The overall cost was less than 1/3rd of buying a new one from Socata for which there is no stock anyway.

EGBP, United Kingdom

You will be very happy with Acorn Welding products and service, they are probably more experienced at manufacturing exhausts than the OEM! If you find that you are not happy with them, feel free to tell me so, and I will assure that the information gets to the right place in the organization, and any concern is addressed for you.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

It seems AWI-AMI also offers PMA parts.

I don’t think they do – at least not for an IO540. They told me they have no PMA. So you have to send in your old exhaust part and they use some part of it – usually the cylinder head flange.

However they can also supply an “uncertified” part, no paperwork, suitable for a homebuilt aircraft, and then you get back your whole old part.

Gomolzig never replied substantively to my emails. Refused to answer re price, delivery, or any details. I suspect they don’t do business with the UK (like quite a few others in Germany).

Acorn are doing nothing at all on Socata parts. Maybe the “repair” process is available but recent emails suggest not.

Administrator

I forgot to report !
I finally went with Acorn.
The result is perfect, and pricing half of OEM.
Even more pleasant was the service. Paul Gryko and Cole Morin were professional, kind and helpful. They will be my partner for exhaust things in the future !

and pricing half of OEM.

AWI-AMI are $500 compared with €2500 from Socata

For Europe, Socata win because most shops demand an EASA-1 form.

Just heard that AWI and Acorn are technically the same company now, under Hartzell Aerospace Welding.

Administrator

We just had ours done with Gomolzig and also excellent results. Plus the turnaround time was only a few days!

EHRD, Netherlands

They must have had the system in stock, and perhaps you communicated in German Or maybe they just don’t want to do repairs, but they could say that instead of sending useless email replies.

Just sent a pipe to AWI-AMI in the US by Fedex; shipping £45. And they reply to emails It’s a no-brainer really.

Administrator
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message