Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Parts shortages and waiting times on engines and props threaten GA?

We’re having a hell of a time finding oil filters (and even certain types of oil), which seems to be an issue globally for GA. Also some routine engine parts are difficult to come by. I can maybe understand why it’s hard to source complex low-volume avionics parts, but oil filters and simple pieces of metal? What’s the issue here?

EHRD, Netherlands

W/o link due to Peter’s recent request…

Champion made a stupid logistical decision (moving production) that didn’t work out so they tried to move back to their old production facility and that facility put them at the back of the queue (rightly so). Cue a small backlog that freaked people who usually order one or two into ordering a case or more and now you’ve got a shortage.

EDM_, Germany

You can buy oil from lots of places, and filters from Tempest. Iridium or other spark plugs from Tempest. No need to use Champion at all.

I tend to buy filters 10 at a time, and oil 24 bottles at a time. Similar for Camguard. I am not saying there is no problem but I haven’t seen it yet. Try LAS Aero (UK). Just called them. Delivery of both Champion and Tempest filters expected early Sep (I had an order in since early Aug). Tempest are slightly cheaper and any brand is better quality than Champion

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Canada has 3 month lead times on oil filters, both Champion and Tempest.

My local shop claims it’s due to a shortage of the fancy paper used inside the oil filter. No idea if that’s true.

Canada

I needed an oil filter the other day, drove 1/4 mile to the parts store across the field, and bought it.

If I had a spare oil filter I would send it to you but I have run out… got some coming soon.

There is obviously no increase in demand so any shortages are due to the panic hoarding which is taking over the world right now.

You can run an oil filter to 100hrs if you want. It is the oil itself which needs changing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

You can run an oil filter to 100hrs if you want. It is the oil itself which needs changing.

At the moment this is probably what we will do.

EHRD, Netherlands

You can run an oil filter to 100hrs if you want

I would not do that due to the carbon build up…see my reply on the cleanable oil filters….

EBST

@dutch_flyer I have 5 of the TB20 filters on their way so I can despatch one.

Would not recommend airmail to the EU because some countries sit on the parcel for a week or two. Would want to use DHL or similar (they got hit with the same originally but seem to have sorted it).

Administrator
58 Posts
Sign in to add your message