Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A new engine control idea for our old engines

The Secret Horsepower Race

It is dense but every page is really interesting. Very well written – by a real expert on the topic.

In so many ways, amazing how little has changed in the challenges we see in GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is German precision engineering of the Kommandogeraet.

On the other hand, there is British engineering for engine control systems. Maybe not so precision. I used to be in a Jet Provost syndicate. The ECU (jet startups are somewhat complicated) was based on a clockwork mechanism, sort of like a child’s musicbox. If you had a hot start, or something else didn’t feel right on start, you shut down immediately. Our SOP was to bang the ECU a couple of times with a ball peen hammer and try again. The likely cause was one of the fingers of the clockwork mechanism getting a bit sticky. A whack or two usually sorted the problem out.

Following on from Peter’s post I ended up buying the book on Amazon. Just delivered. FWIW, I randomly opened the book to have a look inside, and landed straight on the page that Peter kicked this thread off with (the Kommandogeraet).

There are some amazing bits in that book, like the Brit engine designer, Andrew Alexander Ross, who was born in 1884 and died in 1994. There must be a lesson for all of us

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message