Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interference from strobe on my frequency

10 Posts

I replaced my GNS430W with an Avidyne 540. Now everytime somebody transmits (not me) on the selected frequency I clearly hear three pulses that correspond to the strobe flashing sequence. Now here is my question: will I get rid of this noise when I replace the old fashioned strobes (and powerpack) with the LED variant ?

EBST, Belgium

At least not guaranteed 🙁 A friend of mine has three Whelen strobes (synchronized) in his TB10 and you can hear them even on the intercom. I have the same Whelen strobes, synchronized as well and there is nothing to hear.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

You gotta love aviation 😅

EBST, Belgium

The grounds need to be routed correctly, so the return current does not flow through the wing – search.

In GA, most installers just forget to do that and return what they can via the airframe. You get all kinds of fun… with a fluxgate too.

I went from Whelen conventional to Whelen LED, with no issues with either.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, LEDs are supposed to give much less interference than conventional xenon-filled strobes. A gas discharge strobe is essentially a spark-gap transmitter. The current pulse in LEDs is much smoother, so the radiated high-frequency power is much lower.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The LED “strobes” just have a big LED array which is turned on and off. It’s nowhere near as bright as the old strobes but it is “good enough”; same comment could be made for phone cameras. The interference probably comes from a switch-mode power supply driving the LEDs; most big LEDs are driven that way because the simple way – dropping some volts in a resistor – produces a lot of heat. Another bad design, and would be helped by shielded cable, and not using the airframe for the ground return.

Administrator

would be helped by shielded cable

I guess the current cabling is not of the shielded type ?
Any opinion on how Whelen designed their LED nav/strobes ? Those are the ones that would eventually go in.

EBST, Belgium

They seem well made, but I have noticed that – like most “outdoor” electronics – they are not sealed, relying on a drain hole instead. That will limit their life.

Moisture is what kills most LED lamps. I have some outdoor lights which are on all night and they are now LEDs and those don’t last any longer than the previous fluorescent types – about 1 year. An LED lamp should last much longer (there is actually a degradation mechanism).

I would hope the Whelen ones are conformally coated – will take a look next time I fly.

Administrator

I have the AeroLED strobes and hear nothing from them on the radio, very clean. But as mentioned by @Peter, the key is a proper and clean installation of grounding. Any avionics tech worth his salt should know that and not cut corners. “Forgetting” to do it properly would have me looking for a new avionics shop.

LSZK, Switzerland

looking for a new avionics shop.

…and there lies another big problem!

EBST, Belgium
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message