Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a good shop to do the 50 hours maintenance in Brittany

Next Saturday we will change our homebase from EDDS to LFRQ for a while. As we plan to do some flights starting at Quimper to maybe Ireland or Spain, we will need a good maintenance shop around to do our 50 hours service. I found one in Vannes, the Xénon Groupe, but I don‘t know about their reputation. So do you have any recommendations for us and our Bonanza. Thank you in advance.

EDDS , Germany

You can talk to Joel from Fly West at Fontnay, maybe busy in tbe summer but I am sure he can help (not sure about Bonanzas but he knows Mooneys very well, altough for 50h, practically speaking one only need a signature? )

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Jul 23:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Merci, I will contact him. It is also part of the Xenon Groupe according to the website.

EDDS , Germany

You can amend your AMP and remove the 50 hours inspection requirement. Only 100h/annual will remain.

You can then have the 50h work performed (whenever it works for you) and are not limited by hours. The idea is to have only the minimum required maintenance in the AMP, and then do „additional“ maintenance. The idea is it’s always allowed to do more maintenance than specified, but obviously not less.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Joel sadly retired a year or so ago and isn’t really involved with Fly West anymore.
It was taken over by the people at Vannes.
Joel’s retirement has proved to be a sad day for all the clubs in this area.

France

You can amend your AMP and remove the 50 hours inspection requirement. Only 100h/annual will remain.

Good idea, will check. Thank you.

EDDS , Germany

A bit of side question not related to the topic here, can one remove 50h from their AMP if renting it to someone or doing school training?

Joel sadly retired a year or so ago and isn’t really involved with Fly West anymore.
It was taken over by the people at Vannes.
Joel’s retirement has proved to be a sad day for all the clubs in this area.

OK now it make sense why two business in Vannes & Fontnay are linked, this is really recent and sad for proper support in that corner, he was still working untill April 2021, I recall

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jul 09:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

After Joël sold up an retired he agreed to come in for a while in a sort of hand over period. Also part of the agreement, I believe, was that his son and daughter continied to work there.
I consider both Joël and Brigitte as good friends and still see and get advice from Joël from time to time.
I am pretty sure he retired before April of last year but I wouldn’t put money on it.
I know he had sold and retired by the meeting of club presidents last September, he popped his head in to say hello at the LFEY clubhouse. But didn’t stay long as he was on the island with family and friends.
We all used to call him whenever we had a problem and he would turn up. Its sad for us that we can no longer do that.

France

A bit of side question not related to the topic here, can one remove 50h from their AMP if renting it to someone or doing school training?

School training in a commercial ATO? No.
In a club ATO? Yes.

Renting, very complicated intertwine of national and EU regs.
Example: Austria has national legislation requiring local government approval for commercial rental of aircraft. These provisions are older than EASA ;)
Per this rule one can only rent out OE- registered airplanes. How come then that there are plenty of EASA reg planes for rent.

There’s more nonsense:

Conditions and requirements for the rental of powered aircraft:
• The lessor is responsible for complying with the maintenance regulations and the stipulations of the notification of the rental permit.
• Before each rental of the aircraft, the Lessor must have the daily or pre-flight inspection carried out and certified (e.g. entry in the log book) by an authorized aircraft attendant who has the appropriate type rating, or by a trained commercial pilot.
• The lessor must keep a corresponding log book in which the lessor notes the time and type of maintenance work to be carried out on the aircraft and in which the lessee has to enter any perceived defects of the aircraft, which the lessor countersigns to his knowledge are to be taken. After the faults and defects have been rectified, the recognized maintenance company must re-certify that the flight is clear.
• Irrespective of other relevant legal provisions, the Lessor may only rent the aircraft to pilots who are in possession of the necessary aviation authority licenses to operate the aircraft and only with the associated operating manuals and checklists.
• The emergency exits of the aircraft and their controls must also be labeled in German.
• The Lessor must request proof of relevant practical experience and practice in the operation of the aircraft to be leased from the Lessee. Such proof is generally also deemed to have been provided if the lessee (pilot) has carried out several take-offs and landings with aircraft of the corresponding type in the last three months or if the lessor determines through an instruction flight that the lessee has a flawless and safe execution of the flight can be expected. If additional proof of practice is required due to special circumstances – for example due to corresponding reservations in the insurance contracts – this must be provided in a suitable manner.
• The respective lessee of the aircraft must be informed of the amount insured, with which insurance company and how many seats in the aircraft are insured.
• Aircraft other than those listed in the rental approval notice may not be rented within the scope of this approval.
• The Lessor is responsible for determining procedures for flight operations with equipment that is not ready for operation, as well as the approval procedure for the minimum equipment list, and this is to be approved by Austro Control GmbH.
The Office of the Vienna Provincial Government, Magistrate

So are there laws in place, would they uphold if challenged, who knows?

Personally, if renting planes out as a business, I’d stick to a CAO and use whatever AMP they approve.

Renting out privately to known people, I’d have them sign a paper that they are aware the plane is rented out privately without making a profit and maintained according a declared AMP deviating from the DAH maintenance recommendations.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 23 Jul 10:26
always learning
LO__, Austria

Renting out privately to known people, I’d have them sign a paper that they are aware the plane is rented out privately without making a profit and maintained according a declared AMP deviating from the DAH maintenance recommendations.

This is more complex; disclaimers can be worth something, or absolutely nothing, and in cases of personal injury, “public policy” in most civilised countries is: “absolutely nothing”.

Also I would think that Peter is looking for a company to do the work, because the whole 50hr check (except for AD checks) is within pilot privileges. Also one can’t just “move to SDMP”; it’s a “job”.

Anyway, it is his plane, he is not renting. We need a new thread for renting+SDMP

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message