Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reading an engine monitor

I would very much appreciate any knowledgeable persons comment on the above. How do you “interpret” the data and is there anything to be concerned with?
Thanks

UK, United Kingdom

Based on my limited experience and a few years of reading, I see nothing in your photos that’s “bad”, but this alone is not enough info to tell the whole story.

If you upload the data that’s stored on the SD card to Savvy, you will get a lot of nice graphs. BTW, it’s free.

https://www.savvyaviation.com/savvyanalysis/

Also, the guy that runs that site, Mike Busch, has several books that talk about how to use the data from these engine monitors. He also has a lot of webinars. And a podcast.

Get ready to spend some time down the rabbit hole – there’s a lot of very interesting information there for those that are interested.

Some basics: Keep the CHTs under 400f. EGT numerical values are not important unless turbocharged. Otherwise they are interesting in how they move when you lean. If running at less than 75% power, like at 7000+ density altitude, just lean to peak EGT for best performance. Leaning at 75% or less power as much as you can is good for the engine. Lean until the engine gets rough, then richen a bit. Down low at high power, take care when leaning.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Thank you eurogaguest1980, that is a good start for me. The photos were taken in the cruise after about 1 hour and as the monitor is new to me I thought it wise to get other peoples knowledge as well as the manual!

UK, United Kingdom

What are the sets of numbers above the red marks?

The ones at the bottom I can see are the CHTs and EGTs, but I don’t know what the upper ones mean or why 5 and 6 are different from the others.

What is the cylinder arrangement, i.e. where is each number physically located?

EGLM & EGTN

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

How do you “interpret” the data and is there anything to be concerned with?

I would really get a Savvy subscription and ask those experts. It’s not that expensive and perfect for this kind of questions.

Booth the CHT and EGT difference between 5/6 on one side and the other 4 cylinders on the other side are a bit too high for my taste.
If it was only for the CHT difference, I’d say have your cooling baffles checked. As in standard numbering Cal 5/6 are the ones in front, it’s quite normal that they get a bit more cooling but this spread looks a bit high. How is your winter CHT at 5/6? Do you get them up to temperature?

I wouldn’t worry about the EGT difference too much – but what would worry me a bit (if you leaned correctly in this example) is, that Cyl 5 is 91 deg LOP while Cal 4 is only 19° LOP. Don’t know which engine this is, but if it would be a Conti Turbo, Cyl 5 would bee too lean. If you would lean Cal 5 to a more reasonable 50°, however, Cal 4 would be exactly peak EGT (and hence you would risk getting CHT above 400).

What do you see when not LOP but ROP? Are 5/6 also colder than the rest or hotter? If hotter, I’d check the 5 and 6 fuel injectors for clogging (although it would be quite a coincidence that it appears at 2 cylinders at the same time).

Germany

What was the engine make/model? I don’t see anything wrong per se, but if it was my IO520BA, I would expect it would be running rougher than I would want because of the spread of the cylinders, number 5 running 91 degrees LOP while number 6 is still 4 ROP. The EGTs are just numbers and I don’t think of them as actual temperatures. All the CHT are fine, but on my Bonanza anything over 380 degrees would set of the alarm. A Lycoming will show hotter numbers and these would be fine for such an engine.

KUZA, United States

Continental IO360 KB1B guys.
Cylinder arrangement sitting in the cockpit is
PORT 2 4 6
S/BOARD 1 3 5

Last Edited by Fenland_Flyer at 08 Jul 13:55
UK, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

hat are the sets of numbers above the red marks?

That’s my question, too. The numbers at the bottom are obviously CHT and EGT.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Graham wrote:
The sets of numbers above the red marks are peak fuel flow.

UK, United Kingdom

If I had to guess you’re running very imbalanced. Your EGT spread is way too high suggesting very different ignition points at over 119 degrees spread and is reflected in the cht readings too. 380 cht in the cruise would worry me a lot. What really matters is actually how the numbers get there as you lean so it’s hard to get a full story from just a singular snapshot My experience is all based on io550 so bear that in mind but I never get higher than 360 peak cht in the climb and cruise at 290 – 310 depending on oat. You need to get a set of GAMI injectors as they will pay for themselves in no time in fuel, now more than ever. I run 75 degrees LOP the whole time and she’s smooth as full rich. If not smoother. The advice to check you baffles is very good.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message