Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help and guidance needed to ship PA-18-150 from Denmark to the US

RobertL18C wrote:

let alone someone who knows how to pack the container, seems quite hard at the moment.

Is the key! There are people, but this is very hard to assess, and getting it wrong can be very damaging to the plane. I have learned this lesson, happily at low cost, but big lesson!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A friend has being trying to ship an aircraft from Holland to Florida without much luck, getting a container, let alone someone who knows how to pack the container, seems quite hard at the moment.

While tongue in cheek, this team know the local gravel strips in Greenland and a PA-18-150 with a Turtle-Pac luggage cushion tank could make the northern VFR route reasonably easily :)

https://events.prepare2go.com/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Run of the mill planes. The ones I recall are an Archer, a Cardinal and a Rallye. IIRC all three of those came from Norwegian or German registry. The common ground is that they have been sitting for a while, can’t be fixed economically in Europe and are bought inexpensively. After shipment they are restored by the A&P IA owner himself prior to sale. He does the registry change if required with a local DAR.

He does the same thing with insurance write-offs sourced in the US but those are generally bigger projects and are sometimes parted out instead.

A Cub should be easy to containerize and ship, pulling the wings goes quickly if you have a three or more people to lift them off.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Mar 14:36

he buys inexpensive planes in Europe that need repairs (of any registration BTW), then ships them from Germany before getting them into shape and selling them into the US market.

Cubs & Maules? or some exotics types?

There are lot of Cubs in US

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Removing/replacing the wings on a Supercub is simple and shipping the plane should be relatively simple too if you get in touch with the right company. I have a US contact that does it periodically but only his own stuff in his own container – he buys inexpensive planes in Europe that need repairs (of any registration BTW), then ships them from Germany before getting them into shape and selling them into the US market.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Mar 13:51

How much is it worth?

It may be better to sell it here.

See also “Threads possibly related to this one” below.

A lot has changed in 8 years in the aircraft market. N-regs are worth a bit less in Europe (depending on detail), shipping costs have gone up a lot, and the current covid-panic-driven high prices are collapsing and there is a long way to go down.

Posts merged with a previous thread by same person on same topic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If Peter will pardon the cross reference, you’ll find good discussion here:

https://www.pprune.org/private-flying/559389-container-shipping-plane.html?highlight=container+shipping

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Thanks. I will contact the ones mentioned. I am in Denmark so any suggestions in that area would be great.

@johnh might help

Mine was packed up by a company in California, which won’t help much. I’ve sent a PM with what help I can give.

LFMD, France
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message