Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Air to fuel ratio indicator

OK; I can see that the indicator I posted a picture of can’t be of much use, monitoring just one cylinder.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

OK; I can see that the indicator I posted a picture of can’t be of much use, monitoring just one cylinder.

I think it would be like all data – of some use, but perhaps not as useful as intended.

I have an AFR (NTK AFRM GEN2 – Air Fuel Ratio Monitor Kit – Wideband O2 – PN 90067 – w/ NTK Sensor) on my engine but have not yet welded on the bung in the exhaust. Mainly because as Dan mentioned, you get to know the right FF for your aircraft in different power configurations, and the exact AFR is probably not that helpful. I will hopefully be able to confirm this if I ever get around to taking the exhaust to the welder.

Guys who can install a FI system with the ability to adjust the exact fuel injected to each cylinder could use an AFR in each pipe.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Scratching my head over this, but cannot see any use of an AFR except possibly during tuning of a FI/EI/FADEC setup, or as an input to such a thing (but then you would only need the mass air flow, since fuel is known). But as a display on the panel?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In cars the air mass flow sensor is most often mounted just upstream of the throttle body, measuring all the air getting into the engine, or cylinder bank. How evenly said total flow splits amongst all cylinder is down to proper aerodynamic tuning of the intake manifold, and fine tuning the injection and/or spark timings with the help of the knock sensor(s) at runtime. A lot of engine bench work goes into developing those maps for the ECU.

ESMK, Sweden

Peter. Your pict is from my aircraft ;). Its really old afr, i bought aircraft with this. I’m going to install new one, its plenty of it on ebay.

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message