Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LED replacement bulbs now on CS-STAN issue 4 (and which LED bulbs to choose?)

I don’t know whether this is around here already.

CS-STAN issue 4 is out and in force:

EASA

And in particular CS-SC031c has changed in that now LED replacement bulbs for landing and taxi lights can be installed and released by pilot-owner.

The bulbs don’t need no certification. Just a CE mark and that’s it.

This is not (yet) the case regarding recognition lights or strobes.

Germany

Now as a follow-up I am looking for the right exchange bulbs for landing light socket PAR-36. Without the need of certification there are a lot more products available and a lot more reasonably priced.

Can anyone point me towards some good product? I was looking at the aero-lites ultra g2 or X. Are they available in Europe? I only found them at the manufacturer’s store in USA (or in ebay.com) so prices are without shipping and tax.

Or are there some cheaper bulbs around which provide reasonable light? If they had some wig-wag feature I would use it.

It’s a pity that position lights are not (yet) available for standard change. They also sell these Dual-Mode exchange bulbs which could easily be put into the existing electrical installation: Dual-Mode

And installing these is in fact possible, but the aircraft would have to be reduced to day-VFR only. “Official” installation is not possible, as they’re not FAA or EASA certified. This would be just so easy to upgrade to better lighting….

Germany

Does this apply to G reg aircraft as well?

No, this particular development does not, as UK/G-reg aircraft are not under EU/EASA jurisdiction due to Brexit.
No EASA regulations apply to G reg anymore.

The UK CAA could update the copy paste regulations from previously being EASA, and include these changes to the now applicable UK national law.

always learning
LO__, Austria

EASA regs are UK law, under the Withdrawal Act. After 31/12/2020 the UK is able to diverge on selected parts but the UK CAA is doing very little of that, presumably because they want to do a treaty with EASA for mutual paperwork recognition, so they don’t want to do “good stuff” because it would be provocative

Lots of G-regs now have LED lamps.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

I’m sorry but I don’t know that; will have to pass that question to anyone more familiar with this.

Germany

Only issue 3.0 applies to G-reg aircraft as it was published before 31/12/2020.
Not seen any sign that there is a UK issue 4.0 planned.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

How did the G-regs install LED lamps?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How did the G-regs install LED lamps?

Whenever they are FAA or EASA approved installation was always possible. But you had to have the installation signed off.

“New” is that the pilot/owner may release to service any self-installed LED bulb.

Germany

Peter wrote:

EASA regs are UK law, under the Withdrawal Act.

Even changes after New Year 2021?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message