Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 Weldon fuel pump drip - normal?

Hi all,

After a recent flight, one of the owners of our TB20 noted fuel dripping from one of the vent pipes poking out beneath the lower cowling.
The vent pipe is attached to the electric fuel pump, and he did note he hadn’t switched the pump off after landing.
You can see the drip rate here.
It’s a Weldon pump (8120-G) and on the ground, if the fuel pump is activated, the drip starts to occur.
Is this normal? I can’t find any details on how the pump is supposed to work, but presumably the drain tube is there for a reason. I’m guessing it’s not actually an issue and is just venting over-pressure from the pump?
I’d be very grateful if anyone who either knows the intimate details of the pump, or another TB20 owner could comment!

Regards,

Barney

EGBT Turweston, United Kingdom

AFAIK this is a “telltale” vent. It is installed between two seals which separate the pump motor from the pump mechanism. Dripping tells you that one of the seals started to fail and gives time to exchange or rebuild the pump (seals).

I experienced something similar a few months ago which led to exchange of the pump.

EDAQ, Germany

Yes I don’t think this is normal. Get the pump replaced or rebuilt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks guys, will do.

EGBT Turweston, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message