Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PowerFLARM Fusion - anyone using it?

I am considering the PowerFLARM Fusion, and am looking for some real world feedback. Anyone using this or know someone that is using it?

https://flarm.com/products/powerflarm/powerflarm-fusion/

What’s not clear to me is if it requires a dedicated display, or can it work with only a skydemon/foreflight/EFIS display?

I’m experimental (RV-8), so I have a bit more flexibility than you certified guys, and I have read the docs but still struggling to understand if this newest FLARM device still requires a dedicated “FLARM-compatible” display to function, or if not using one simply limits the information received.

Thanks for any tips!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

My club installed a PowerFLARM fusion in a PA28 past year. I planned the installation, so I am quite familiar with its features and installation requirements,

To answer your specific question, Every FLARM unit needs a dedicated display as the primary display. We used an Air Avionics ATD-80.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Feb 21:27
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As u might remember, using a piggyback installed ATD-57, albeit on a AT-1…
Might have saved my bacon 1 1/2 times yesterday 🧐

Last Edited by Dan at 05 Feb 22:06
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

To answer your specific question, Every FLARM unit needs a dedicated display as the primary display.

no, not quite correct. I use my Dynon Skyview as traffic display. Flarm targets are shown. Many Dynons are installed in RV’s. But to have a separate display unit is nice to have.

Karl_Acht wrote:

I use my Dynon Skyview as traffic display. Flarm targets are shown.

Sure, FLARM targets are shown, but that doesn’t mean that the Dynon Skyview is an approved primary display. Indeed, FLARM Technology lists it as a secondary display. The only MFD which is certified as primary display is the MT VisionAir EP (which also happens to be ETSO’d).

This is what FLARM Technology has to say on the matter:

A FLARM system is only complete and approved if connected to a certified FLARM Compatible primary display. FLARM certification ensures that the display handles all communication with the FLARM device correctly, including collision warnings, status messages and error conditions. In addition, a FLARM system may also be connected to a secondary display for traffic awareness (“moving map”), but those displays will normally not show if e.g. the firmware is expired or if any other condition makes the system unusable or unreliable. The displays listed below are all certified as FLARM Compatible for use as a primary display, using the FLARM display protocol (ICD).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I totally agree. I have a Powerflarm Core and I have displays on both a moving map (Sky Demon) and a dedicated LED display.

You need to be glancing at a dedicated display high up in the panel which tells you where to look out of the corner of your eye. Any co pilot /pax can see this display and look out also also.

You don’t want to me messing about looking a blobs on moving maps – although this is useful to see how close it was when you have passed each other!

United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback. Seems the device will work without a “certified FLARM Compatible primary display” but some information will be lost. Surprising so few EFIS manufacturers have included the FLARM display protocol in their systems – after a brief scan of the spec it didn’t look that complex, but I guess the market for this capability is pretty small. Also seems like a tablet app could be written as well to provide this functionality. It will come eventually. 500 Euro for a simple display seems a bit steep.

Just worried after I pull the trigger on this purchase that I’ll find some major show stopper such that it won’t work with my GRT EFIS, Trig, or ipad.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

What are the interfaces? RS232? One could do a protocol converter…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

didn’t know one had to pay for Flarm in Sky Demon: SkyDemon

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

didn’t know one had to pay for Flarm in Sky Demon: SkyDemon

If you don’t buy the FLARM license in SkyDemon, do you not see any of those targets?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message