Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aspen pro PFD trouble; Looking for tips repair vs. upgrade and how to do it

airways wrote:

Why don’t you shoot an email at Cory Relling ? He’s Aspen’s rep that’s present at Friedrichshafen every year

Cory was the man through whom I signed an agreement with Aspen Avionics in the spring of 2018
By the time I signed the deal, I had only lost 32k Euro that I had spend with Aspen dealer and was still able to pick up my plane and fly away home
After signing the agreement I lost both the plane and the 32k Euros.
I will not go into details on how Aspen operates on the European market, it was described in detail in this forum

Did follow your story…which prevented me thinking of buying a Robin without proper avionics installed by the factory.

What is current status in your case?

Last Edited by Regent at 20 Jan 13:25

I think I missed that story and couldn’t find it.

The Aspen was already in the panel when I bought it. So yes, that is one drawback if you don’t do the panel upgrades yourself. In any case, if they eliminated those issues on the MAX version then it would be all fine for me.

Germany

Presumably it relates to this? There are many lessons there, and only some related to aircraft or aviation But, if anyone wants to discuss that topic, please use that thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Presumably it relates to this?

Boy what a read. Another story added to the cabinet of stories I know of “flying is swimming with big fishes and part of the game is not to get eaten”.

Being long in the “business” helps to avoid such pit traps…

Germany

airways wrote:

Why don’t you shoot an email at Cory Relling ? He’s Aspen’s rep that’s present at Friedrichshafen every year. Maybe they’ll have an offering for the Aero Messe ?

Well thanks again for sharing that address, saved me a lot. And to anyone reading this: They provide a real good support. What shall I say, I have my Aspen back!

The issue I had was with cabling. Someone wound the cable from the remote sensor box several times around an air hose in the tail, where this air hose is magnetic. I didn’t touch this before reassuring this with Aspen support (I already found this suspicious and asked whether this could be the issue), because I was not sure whether realigning the cable could in fact be a bad idea. But after putting the cable in another place all indications were as good as in the beginning. The signal from the remote box was so bad before that I did not have a reliable directional gyro. Whenever banking it was totally unreliable, off by 45 degrees and turning the wrong way, so you could not fly on autopilot on heading mode, and got red cross when making sharper turns.

What I am still puzzling about is who put that cable there and when, because signal and indication was good when I bought the plane (however I don’t remember where that cable had been).

Some other issues I had seem to have gone with installing a new backup battery. Although good that it is fixed, and that the fix is so easy, but I find this quite disappointing for one side because the battery only lasted one year before developing problems and was in the unit only two years in total (manufactured 2019). Battery check on annual was fine (however capacity close to the limit last time).

But all this was a good lesson for my awareness on how to identify faulty instruments and how to fly partial panel.

Germany

I’m happy for you it worked out. Enjoy the summer flying season !

EBST, Belgium
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message