Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aspen pro PFD trouble; Looking for tips repair vs. upgrade and how to do it

So I have an Aspen 1000 pro PFD installed and am sharing some real odd moments with it. I do not yet want to tell openly what I think it is, but it seems pretty clear to me that I need the whole display unit exchanged to have it 100% operational, and hopefully all issues concern the display unit alone.

I’ve read somewhere that Aspen provided a flat fee for an exchange device, it was something like 1,199 Dollar. But at the moment I can’t find it anymore. Doesn’t it still exist? I don’t have a quote from the shop yet, where my unit has been installed, but on telephone I was told that it’ll be A LOT more expensive to exchange it there (with several exclamation marks).

Every now and then there seems to be an offer for upgrading from a pro to a pro MAX, where condition of the display you send in does not matter. Last one I’ve seen was from Oshkosh 2021, upgrade price 2,999 Dollar. Is there actually any offer like this? The homepage is silent. Could I just order the exchange unit myself?

Please, I do not want to start a discussion about its quality and that I should get some Garmin devices instead because at present I’m not willing to do so.

If anyone who’s able to help me and e.g. was even authorized to sign the exchange of the device is reading here, e.g. as a freelance avionics examiner or mechanic or the like, I’m actually interested in any offer, so just PM me. Thank you.

Edit: Aircraft is german registered.

Last Edited by UdoR at 19 Jan 11:47
Germany

I’m not aware of the current offerings, but I’d seriously look into upgrading to the MAX version.

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

I’m not aware of the current offerings, but I’d seriously look into upgrading to the MAX version.

…yes in fact that’s what I’m aiming at if there was a reasonable offer for it. Most important difference for me is, that the MAX continues to operate when either GPS or airdata is lost, and the respective other is still available. However, I haven’t found an actual offer and am additionally looking for information on how to realise such an exchange (other than: “go to a shop and hand over bag of money”).

Exchanging the device is a non-brainer, just a snap-in replacement, I’d do that any time. However, it needs to be calibrated and programmed (which I both could do, but would need some time) and in any case the exchange needs to be signed off.

Germany

Why don’t you shoot an email at Cory Relling ? He’s Aspen’s rep that’s present at Friedrichshafen every year. Maybe they’ll have an offering for the Aero Messe ?

[email protected]

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

Is the MAX display more reliable?

LFMD, France

What do you mean by “reliable” ? The pitot-static blockage isn’t a single point of failure anymore. The more powerful processor will have to work less hard for the same functionality. The famous restart-in-flight issue has been adressed for the better part with a software update.

EBST, Belgium

I signed up for one of the max upgrade trade-in special offers @ $2995 by attending one of their tech seminars in July 2021. They later offered the same deal as Oshkosh Special.

I had originally purchased the 2-Y warranty extension (total 4 years) on my PRo PLUS for $750 which I considered reasonable value given the then-price tag of $11995 for the new unit incl AOA and SV options. I have operated it for 4.5 years since new and the only issue has been a minor recalibration of the altimeter. It was within limits but it was annoying to see them both at the opposite extremes of tolerance at high altitude. Apparently most of the teething issues with the original units have been overcome.

@UdoR what is the issue with your unit?

I placed my upgrade order via one of the European dealers last August and it has just been delivered in January so about 5 mos leadtime amidst all the “special deal” orders, but it should be improved now.

Installation does take a few man hours since, if you want the new audio features, you need to run some wiring to the audio panel. You also need to verify all your config settings (complexity depending on specific interfaces in your install and your panel layout) and install special features (AOA, SV, ADS-B…?) . Most of the settings do carry over from one unit to the other since they stay in the unchanged config module, but you still need to verify the settings one by one, and ensure it all works fine. Not difficult but tedious. You will also need a new AFM supplement and FAA Form 337 (you are N-reg, right?) so you will have to pay someone to install it and sign documentation.

Current list price for the trade-in MAX upgrade is $4995 and it comes with a fresh 2-year warranty. Price is regardless of optional features which are retained in the new unit. Price for the straight PRO MAX unit starts at $9995 (and up, with options)

I can’t wait to see my new display! I will report back.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Availability could be a major issue with the upgrade path: I know 2 people who ordered in summer and got a 6 month delivery time and one who wants to order now but doesn’t even get a delivery date. Sounds like they are also affected by the overall electronics shortage but do not communicate as openly as Garmin.

I hope the replacement units ship considerably faster…

Germany

airways wrote:

Why don’t you shoot an email at Cory Relling ? He’s Aspen’s rep that’s present at Friedrichshafen every year. Maybe they’ll have an offering for the Aero Messe ?

Thank you, done that.

Germany

I ordered a Pro Max in December through a dealer and it’s being installed in March (UK). There was no issue with supply, the delay is due to installer’s schedule.

Last Edited by zuutroy at 19 Jan 16:45
EIMH, Ireland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message