Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon D3 backup EFIS

Has anyone else seen or used one of these?

https://dynonavionics.com/pocket-panel.php

Seems pretty cool. Something like this would be a serious safety improvement, guarding against vacuum, electrical, and pitot-static failures. With nav on the iPad, a handheld radio with ILS, and the D3, you’d be able to pretty safely fly IFR even if the entire panel blew up.

EHRD, Netherlands

There is a thread on eliminating the vacuum system, and I think this was mentioned there.

Is there really a handheld with ILS? I’ve only ever seen them with VOR. Lot’s more frequency capability need to support LOC/GS. I don’t think I’d trust that anyway for an ILS.
Agree that the D3 is a cool device. Especially the clip-in panel mount makes it attractive, combined with claimed 6-hr battery operation if true. Most of the panel-mount units such as G5 claim “up to” 4hr or less. I’ve not seen reports of real-life experience. If I had a total electrical failure on a long flight in IMC or over water, I’d want a bit more of a buffer since the stress level would already be high. In an aircraft with enough certified electrical backup to eliminate the vacuum system (2x G5/GI275/AV-30 or whatever) the D3 mounted on the right side with a simple configuration would still be a nice alternative if everything else fails.

LSZK, Switzerland

I have one, I never tested it in the Mooney (engine vibrations ?) but it worked very neat in my glider, I have not seen it in my flight bag recently

With load of fuel, tablet, handheld Yaesu 750L and D3 you would have a solid backup for IFR: not for Cat1 wwith 550m & 200ft (you need panel ILS CDI with ATC & RFFS with coupled auto-pilot to walk away) but it should be fine to hook with VFR on 1.5km & 500ft and save the show

It’s all GPS based, the same data as your tablet anyway just with better representation (ground speed, true track and true altitude with synth-vision), it goes t**s up in glider aerobatics, so I assume it would be useless for recovery from unusual attitudes…

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jan 09:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The Yaesu 750 does ILS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dutch_flyer wrote:

Has anyone else seen or used one of these?

I have a D1. It is a great little ADI which I would use as the backup of the backup in my plane. I have an Aspen, a vaccum ADI and the Dynon. If one of them shows garbage due to a failure, the two others will likely show the the same correct values.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I have the Yaesu 850L with ILS. Just got it and plan to test it this weekend.

@ibra if you don’t use yours, are you interested in parting with it?

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

if you don’t use yours, are you interested in parting with it?

Still interested in keeping it, I just can’t find it in my bags, hopefully before I ever need it

I have a D2 and it has worked faultlessly. It has had sufficient battery life for most flights and can be charged in flight if required. In my experience they are excellent.

EGBM, United Kingdom

Has anybody ever tried to really use it – so flying in IMC or under the hood (with a safety pilot of course) just with reference to this device with the AI, etc. on the panel blacked out?

As one can’t mount it in primary field of view and in most planes it would even be mounted somewhere to the side so that one has to turn the head to focus on it, I’d expect it’s quite a challenge using it ?!?

Germany

Has anybody ever tried to really use it – so flying in IMC or under the hood (with a safety pilot of course) just with reference to this device with the AI, etc. on the panel blacked out?

Not in SEP, I was keen to try with vibrations to see how it performs, just never had a chance to mount and play with, I tried it in glider cloud flying, it does a pretty good job as long as your idea of backup is to maintain wings level on a well trimmed aircraft on stable speed & config until you find VMC…

If your idea of IFR backup is to fly Cat3 ILS with 1/2 dot in windy days, or get out of +/-45deg pitch & bank in TCU, or fly +/-1deg pitch & bank with 700hp in front, or to fly in radar TMA with machine gun vectoring, yes it’s not it’s not the right device and you should get something more serious, a second PFD or second AI in front of your eyes would be better

It’s utility is proportional to your required flying accuracy ! (still it’s easier to fly than partial panel on TC down left)

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jan 11:38
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message