Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RKMCK4 plug for the Golze ADL140

Hello

I have a fairly powerful powerbank with 9V/3A and 12V/2.25A DC output via a USB-A port.

I am unfamiliar with the RKMCK4-connection used on the Golze unit.

Can anybody help me by explaining how to make a cable to connect the Golze unit (RKMCK4) to the powerbank (USB-A)?

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Christian

CLE
Roskilde Flying Club
EKRK

I have never seen a powerbank deliver over 5V on a normal USB-A port yet. Do you have a link to that powerbank?

Making a cable is not difficult, you usually take an existing cable which fits the powerbank, cut the other end and attach the RKMCK4, no soldering required, screw terminals only. I suggest to measure the voltage and polarity on the bare wires before attaching the RKMCK4 just to be sure. The pinout of the RKMCK4 is in the manual and even printed on the ADL140 device sticker.

Or if the powerbank only delivers 5V there is this adapter but unfortunately it is quite expensive:
https://www.ing-golze.de/accessories_01_usb.jsp

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I have a powerbank at home, delivering 12V 21W out of a standard USB-A port. It is quick charge 3.0.

With just a short amazon search it spits out this one for example. Look at the fifth image, where the specifications are given. I have another one, because for what I use it it needs the 21 W on the USB-A port, but 12V/1.5A (18W) seems to be cheap and well available.

Last Edited by UdoR at 30 Dec 22:39
Germany

This may be relevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

I have a powerbank at home, delivering 12V 21W out of a standard USB-A port. It is quick charge 3.0.

So the way it seems to work is that the USB-A port will apparently only output 5V. Then if a compatible device is connected it can negotiate a higher voltage with the source. Unfortunately I see no obvious way to fabricate such a cable for an ADL140. the ADL140 can not do the negotiation, it just takes the power from + and – cables. Probably you could parallel wire it to some other device / chip doing the negotiation but that is more advanced. I suggest using a power bank which outputs the higher voltage right away. I have used with success this one:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007Z3I8RC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or as discussed above use the USB 5V adapter:
https://www.ing-golze.de/accessories_01_usb.jsp

Or upgrade to an upcoming replacement for the ADL140 which will be USB powered.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

If you connect only to the + and – wires, the max you can draw “legitimately” is 500mA.

For more current, there is a simple protocol involving switching various resistors across the two data lines. There are easy to use chips which do this. Check out the TPS2511 for a fairly old example. That enables you to build a device which can negotiate up to 2A, at 5V. It is very handy.

At work, I was going to make an inline adaptor which contains a TPS2511. Had 1000 PCBs populated and then abandoned it because there was too much competition, and the overmoulding would have to be done in China and I had enough of the gangster stuff going on there. I am happy to donate some of these to a deserving person

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or upgrade to an upcoming replacement for the ADL140 which will be USB powered.

Any other new features you’d like to share ? 😬

EBST, Belgium

Thank you for your comments. I will consider the USB adaptor as the solution or even the upcoming ADL product. Sebastian, can you give any indication as to when it might be released?

Thank you

CLE
Roskilde Flying Club
EKRK

CLE wrote:

Sebastian, can you give any indication as to when it might be released?

It will be called ADL160, currently I am about to organize production, so probably 1-2 months until the first ones become available. This is what it will look like. Same features as the ADL140 just smaller, USB powered and a color which should be a good compromise between heat and optics.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message