Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overhaul delays

It looks like, at 2350 hours on the TIO-540-AE2A engine of my PA46, it’s time for an overhaul.

After some severely lead coated exhaust valves (likely due to my oil temps being too low) proved impossible to lap with the rope trick, the shop pulled cylinder 1 and saw this on the crankshaft:

The other lobes are ok; the camshaft seems ok too but it’s not that easy to get clear pictures.

We got a quote from a well known UK engine shop, with a 3 months timeframe; a shop on the continent simply refused to quote, saying they have no way to get the parts; and my maintenance shop says the UK shop is very, very optimistic on the timeframe, which is their experience should realistically be 6 to 12 months.

I’ve been very proactive in replacing my cylinders and many components of the engine are new or recently overhauled (like the turbos) so I’m hoping we can overhaul many things rather than replacing them, but of course the instructions from the engine manufacturer must be followed…

I’m trying very hard not to think about all those months without the plane.

EGTF, LFTF

How bad are the delays for factory remanufactured engines? This is a popular engine so quite a few shops may have one already ready?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Can you do an engine exchange with Norvic or any other engine shop?

ESSZ, Sweden

denopa wrote:

I’ve been very proactive in replacing my cylinders and many components of the engine are new or recently overhauled (like the turbos) so I’m hoping we can overhaul many things rather than replacing them, but of course the instructions from the engine manufacturer must be followed

“Instructions” is a term that would be open to interpretation, but this Lycoming service bulletin describes what parts must be replaced regardless of condition in order for the work to be documented as an overhaul. Everything else needs to be within Maintenance Manual service limits as a minimum.

(BTW I believe the original post reverses the terms camshaft and crankshaft. What appears to be shown in the photo is a pitted camshaft lobe)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Dec 19:10

Yes, sorry !

EGTF, LFTF

As Silvaire has pointed out, there is a list of what must be replaced for the work to be considered an “overhaul”. This will not consider how “new” certain parts will be, either replace with new or overhaul in accordance with the Lycoming instructions. This will include accessories. Considering the cost to Re n Re the engine, and do the repairs, it’s probably worth doing a complete overhaul at this point. That cam lobe is not airworthy, if you run that engine more, you will regret it, sooner or later.

I regularly work with a great engine shop here in Ontario, Canada, if shipping it is an option, though you’d have to assure that the Canadian certification would be accepted locally. If you need, I can call and ask timelines and parts availability…..

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Europe is not good for engine shops, and has not been for many years. It is basically Russian roulette.

Are you N-reg or Euro-reg? If N-reg then you have access to some reputable US engine shops. Some info here, with the usual dissenting voices If Euro-reg, there used to be a route where a US DAR writes out an Export CofA for the engine, for $300 (2008 price); I don’t know if that route still exists and last time I asked nobody else knew either. There is another route which is to pay an EASA145 shop to, hey ho, “inspect” the engine and, hey ho, print off an EASA-1 form for 4 digits. It may be related to this, or it may not…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

denopa wrote:

I’m trying very hard not to think about all those months without the plane.

Last time I was in that situation (with a Conti, though), I figured out that getting a factory overhauled engine with the credit for sending in the old core was the best deal in terms of cost vs. downtime.

Very few reputable overhaul shops in Europe and hence those who are there have extremely long queues in front of them (adding to potential lead times for required spares).

Germany

It’s not just engines with long delays. Props are also a problem, especially on the DA40. The club DA40 was going to be down for a ridiculous amount of time, fortunately our maintenance outfit did a deal with someone whose aircraft was waiting for lots of other parts and we were able to rent their prop whilst we waited. When we discovered that our prop was ready but transportation was the next problem, our president took a van to the manufacturers and picked up the prop himself.
Back to topic. I thinks @Malibuflyer suggestion of an exchange engine from the manufacturer is a good idea if you need to save downtime. Shame there is no way to save your new cylinders it seems such a waste.

France

Indeed not. One of our Cherokees was found to have a crack in one of the main landing gear assemblies. Piper says the part is not in stock and it will take about four months to produce one. Our shop managed to find the part in Germany – they said it was probably the only one available in Europe (and also actually cheaper than buying from Piper).

I find it almost inconceivable that a manufacturer don’t have spares in stock for an aircraft that is still in production. Particularly as the part in question is subject to a Service Bulletin requiring regular inspections for cracks, so clearly they expect that cracks will be found!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Dec 08:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message