Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First year of ownership completed

10 Posts

I just wanted to share with you my luck of my first year of ownership, which just completed without any major trouble.

I could tell a lot about what I’ve done this year and more about what I’ve learned. Maintenance-wise up front, of course. But in the end I think I was really lucky, too with what I was doing. And it really is the right moment to buy an aircraft, now, where costs of ownership have dropped significantly over the last years. I’m taking full benefit of the possibility of Owner-Maintenance.

Now as all seems to have turned out well, I can confess: I didn’t pay no-one to do a prebuy for me. I did a thorough check on my own on about everything, but honestly without knowing what to really look for in the documentation and the plane, even without opening up all the maintenance lids and things. I have a flying background all my life, and know some things and have ideas about what to look for, and I briefed myself on the major issues and topics on a Comanche, but this doesn’t replace a proper prebuy. I do the same with cars, by the way. I even haven’t flown similar types of aircraft or one having comparable equipment, so it was easy to have me impressed. In fact, my Comanche is my first aircraft and the first one I’ve flown having more than 180hp. That said, in the end, I trusted the seller and the world seems not to be so dark in all the places. The price was higher than what I initially wanted to pay for “an aircraft”, but I was happy with what I got, up to six places, the recent avionics upgrade and that all seemed to be working fine, where maintenance was performed with due diligence as it seemed.

The engine is running very fine and economic, and has more hours to go than I’ll probably fly in the next 15 years. After my first year I think I can summarize that my aircraft is in an overall very good condition – where one should take into account, that some parts are getting old, it’s a 1970ies aircraft in the end and obviously not everything gets replaced. So I take an extra care on things which might be affected by ageing. But for now I don’t mind, as long as it’s working as it should. I’ve spotted down some minor things to fix, all together in the low to mid 4-digit region, where the most expensive will be a re-check of the Aspen avionics installation, where I’m not all too satisfied with. But nothing which really needs immediate attention. I’m doing maintenance on my own as far as possible, which already included some repairs and fulfilling some ADs last year (heck, we’re talking about some 3-digit spare parts). This – to me – is a lot of fun and gives me a lot of trust in and knowledge about my aircraft.

So I’m eager to go into my second year. All ADs done, nothing there which was starting making trouble. So hopefully the second annual will be even less work and maybe even more fun and flying

What I like most about “owning” is the “self-fulfilling prophecy” style of how to spare free time. As the aircraft is there anyways and costs mainly what it costs anyways, we just have to use it to go to places.

Germany

Wonderful. Buying a plane always involves some level of risk and hassle, as far as I’ve seen and experienced, and it sounds like you’ve managed it well regardless of exact process. Hope you enjoy year two

It must be a 260C, based on your description? This strikes me as a good combination of utility and ramp appeal, and despite plunger engine controls being a very simple and effective solution, probably better in that way, I like the throttle quadrant on the later Comanches.

@Silvaire Hmhm.

Four lever control

It’s a 1970 260tc.

Last Edited by UdoR at 01 Dec 15:53
Germany

Looks like fun

Those Lock Haven zinc chromated PA-24-260 ‘tiger shark’ C are very well built and I don’t think there is the equivalent technology in the twenty first century to produce this build quality and longevity.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

What I like most about “owning” is the “self-fulfilling prophecy” style of how to spare free time. As the aircraft is there anyways and costs mainly what it costs anyways, we just have to use it to go to places

Yea, I feel the same – although I’ve just passed 1.5 months of ownership and unfortunately my plane is now grounded for few weeks now, I have almost 12 hours in it.
I wonder if this feeling of “way to spend spare time” will remain after few years ;)

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

@Silvaire climbed up to FL190 in it. That’s a different story. It just keeps climbing. So much fun :-)

Comanches climb generally well, but still it gives me a lot more options. And I appreciate having available 29.8”Hg for takeoff anytime, regardless pressure altitude. Because we often start close to MTOW, with 4 or 5 POB.

Germany

That kind of boost would work well in my area, with takeoffs at high density altitude. I think it must be the ultimate Comanche. For my purposes I think I’d prefer it over a Bonanza, the space and ergonomics of the Comanche are just much better for me.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Dec 03:36

+1 for the 260C Comanche though mine is not turbo. Would only replace it with a capabable de-iced (turbo) and pressurized twin to be honest

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Excellent! You will never look back and ownership will do wonders for your flying, with a plane which is (hopefully) always available and not getting messed up by others

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message