Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to solve G5 GMU11 software update problem

A pilot friend just updated his dual G5 install with the latest Garmin software (7.21). Directly following the update the GMU 11 did not show up anymore as a heading source. I was able to confirm this by looking into the setup screen of the G5 and comparing it with my installation. Where my G5 does show a green tickmark in the checkbox for the GMU together with the software version (2.1) my friend´s GMU does show but without green mark and without software version.
When turning off the master switch the status changes to „no connection“ so there seem to be some life left in the unit.
He remembers to only have turned on the G5s on their internal battery for the update so we suspect the GMU unit was not up and running during the process and missed the update.
We tried to repeat the update but the G5 refuses to update again, presumably because of detecting there is no later than the installed firmware on the SD card in the slot.
Any hints how to solve the problem apart from waiting for the next update and trying again with master switch on next time?
Thanks,
Carmine

EDAQ, Germany

Guess your question relates to a certified G5 config… interesting problem for which I don’t have a clue, but would first revert to the install manual. Which again I’m not sure you have if it is a certified install.
I’ve had minor issues during my dual G5 install, and email [email protected]. Usually prompt and helpful.

Last Edited by Dan at 24 Nov 15:59
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, certified install. Thanks for the email suggestion. Will try and report back.

Last Edited by slowflyer at 24 Nov 16:11
EDAQ, Germany

Avionics Europe <[email protected]>

GMU should update automatic on next power up after G5 update. This process is visible at device list.
You can enter also GMU11 on this list and see details of unit.
Maybe just need to be reconfigured or re-calibrated..

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

We did several power-ups today to check the GMU but remained in the state described above. I will check again next time when meeting him at the hangar.

EDAQ, Germany

Talked to Garmin support on the phone today (thank you for the email address @Przemek) and they sent me an email with old firmware to downgrade the G5 and GMU. Unfortunately will be able earliest next week to try.

Interesting fact he pointed out: when upgrading the G5 make sure to also power up the attached hardware (GMU, GAD etc). As opposed to the suggestion by @Przemek the update will not finish automatically after the next power up. So it is not guaranteed that the firmware version will also be upgraded to these devices. In wonder what happens to people who decide to install the other parts some time later on after having used the G5 for some time beforehand. How can one be sure to upgrade them.

EDAQ, Germany

It will upgrade other parts. System is always going to have latest firmware at all units in can-bus.
So even when you will connect power of units later or add unit with old firmware it will be detected by G5 and software update will be initialized.
At your case something went wrong..

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

I just ditched my trusty electro mechanical AI and HSI for a dual G5 setup. It is worrying to read issues like this.
is it mandatory to always upgrade to next firmware? I just wonder why I update if everything is working fine instead of leaving it alone.
It is not like the updates add new capabilities for free.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 26 Nov 08:14
Switzerland

By9468840 wrote:

It is not like the updates add new capabilities for free.

Actually, they might. You can read the change history for the G5.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

By9468840 wrote:

It is worrying to read issues like this.

The problem was caused by using a non-standard updating procedure, as slowflyer wrote:

turned on the G5s on their internal battery for the update

Flip the avionics switch to ON, and then update. I’ve installed and been using G5s for 4+ years on different ships, and never had a problem whilst performing an update. Over the years updates have provided better readability and functionality for the system, so I usually install them as they become available. Again, all my comments for the non-certified version.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message