Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LED Beacon - what can and what can't I do myself

If only it was that simple. There so few that there is practically no choice.

Thanks for all the replies and reference to CS-STAN, this is very helpful also for future projects. Does this mean every change or repair that is not covered by either the owner-maintenance approved items or included in CS-STAN can definitely only be done and also released by the maintenance shop/a part 66 license?

Also, what is the usual practise if the part 66 examiner approves to check and eventually release my own repair/change – is the airplane then not grounded until the repair/change is released, meaning the examiner needs to come to the airplane and not other way around?

EDAV, Germany

@Andi, the answer to both question is yes, but if you own and fly the plane yourself, then you can declare a maintenance program authorising yourself to perform any non-critical items. However, don’t forget that the airworthiness inspector issuing your ARC will also need to review that maintenance program for adequacy, to it’s best to talk to him in advance about it and make sure he gives you his blessing to do these repairs. Furthermore, it’s really yourself (or you jointly with other persons) who should own the aircraft – ownership through a one-man company doesn’t work.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Andi wrote:

can definitely only be done and also released by the maintenance shop/a part 66 license?

The work can be done by the owner, but it has to be released by the examiner. Same is true, e.g., for the annual. You as the owner can do it all alone, but the examiner has to release the plane to service. So yes for something like an annual he will quite surely come to the plane to check that the plane is in airworthy condition. But in principle depending on the task he might also take your work report, which is signed by yourself, and sign off something based on paperwork. He doesn’t have to load the responsibility on his shoulders, because you did the work and signed the work report. And if everything’s ok from the books, and the beacon is working, maybe he’ll sign it off without coming to the plane. I’d discuss that with the examiner.

Germany
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message