Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LED Beacon - what can and what can't I do myself

They are well-made and bright but the beam angle is way too wide.

Then, at least acc. to CS STAN, they do not qualify.

@A_and_C
Curious in general how are these things released? What regulations are references on the CRS?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy

Things that have no aviation specification are released using a manufacturers certificate of compliance.

The CofC just certifies that the product complies with its specification.

We generate these at work every day ISO9000 customers ask for them. What else is one to say? “No, Sir, the product doesn’t comply with its spec but we just send it out because nobody will notice”.

It’s all a sham but that is how certification works.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A_and_C wrote:

Things that have no aviation specification are released using a manufacturers certificate of compliance

Thank you. So for landing lights, the following must be observed:

• the equipment is installed at the same location with identical light distribution angles and colours;
  • the equipment is qualified for the environmental conditions to be expected during normal operation;
  • instructions and tests defined by the equipment manufacturer have to be followed; and
    — any modification of electrical wiring is performed in accordance with acceptable practices such as the aircraft maintenance manual or Chapter 11 of FAA Advisory Circulars AC 43.13-1B and Chapter 4 of AC 43.13-2B.

If installing a landing light without ETSO (meeting the above) what is the basis of the CRS?

CRS according CS-SC031b

Or is any other reference required?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 31 Oct 20:07
always learning
LO__, Austria

Theoretically, an installation of non-compliant landing lights could be interpreted as a removal of the landing lights altogether (which will require an amendment to the flight manual, if the aircraft is certified for night VFR or IFR operations) + installation of visual awareness lights under CS-SC036a.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Then what’s the point of CS-STAN allowing exchange of landing lights in the first place?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Then what’s the point of CS-STAN allowing exchange of landing lights in the first place?

Because the procedure described by Ultranomad would mean that the aircraft can no longer be used at night?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My engineering company installed whelen parmetheus LEDS in my aircraft a few years ago (744 quid for two). There are the first generation units – better than the tungsten they replaced but not as good as the latest units.

One unit is now cracked and once moisture gets in I suspect it will fail.

Would I be legally able to replace the whelen unit with one from Aero Lites myself?

It goes without saying if I ask my maintenance company they will say no and I will have to replace it with a Whelen unit that they will provide.

Get a new maintenance company! My maintenance company would be more than happy for me to do this during an Annual, check my work and sign it off with no mark up.

United Kingdom

I think Archer -181 sums this up rather well.

Sign in to add your message