Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Want a new aircraft ? Not allowed in the UK (if EASA TC changed since brexit)

I am told that the U.K. CAA is not accepting any aircraft onto the register that has a type certificate that has been amended after Brexit.

This has resulted in new aircraft being stuck in limbo and some very frustrated aircraft owners who can’t fly their new aircraft.

Quite what the CAA is going to do about this is unclear but as always they are taking a long time about it.

Is there any restriction towards registering them EASA in terms of long term use or parking? Might be an either intermediate solution or permanent… Or possibly IOM or Channel Islands? N – Reg?

Amazing anyhow. I was kind of wondering if the CAA would try to become a flag of convenience authority and try to make some money out of Brexit. The way it looks from what you write, it looks more like they are everything some EASA exponents used to moan about…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

that has a type certificate that has been amended after Brexit.

@AandC is this related to European types or world wide? Have they lost the expertise to study the TC change and hence can’t validate it?

I wonder how this affects the airlines? while the main 737 Max user is in Ireland there must be new airliners which are being placed on the G register where there has been a TC amendment?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A_and_C wrote:

I am told that the U.K. CAA is not accepting any aircraft onto the register that has a type certificate that has been amended after Brexit.

To be more precise you should have written: “… not accepting any aircraft onto their register based on an EASA type certificate that has been changed after Brexit”.

This is not surprising and the legal position since Jan 1st: UK is no longer member of EASA and the interim provisions only cover subjects that have been in place before that date. UK CAA – as a completely independent national CAA – now either needs to set up a framework for unilaterally accepting foreign type certificates (if they would do something like this, I’d be very surprised if they did that bases on European TCs and not on US ones) or the manufacturers need to apply for type certification in the UK separately (as they have to do in Brazil, China, Canada, etc.).

Germany

RobertL18C it could be for those TCs that has diverged from an EASA TC after Brexit – manufacturers will have to contact CAA, right? And while I could see that happening for even a single 737, not sure if it would happen soon for something smaller – UK marker is not as big.
And you have to pay the CAA, as well you also have to deal with their .

EGTR

Are there really that many aircraft with TC amendments since the beginning of the year? How many aircraft TC are affected by this? I suspect that the number of affected aircraft is in single digits…. which of course doesn’t make the issue less aggravating for the impacted owners. But I would expect that those owners have already taken measures as suggested by @Mooney_Driver. Anyone with the money to buy a new aircraft won’t let such a small obstacle get in the way.

My Cessna TC last changed in 2015 and there have been 47 changes since the original TC for the 175 back in the 50’s, of which 11 were the addition of various 172 models.

I can imagine that this happens more regularly with new aircraft models that are still undergoing refinement. The suggested 737 Max could fall in that category, but at the same time I can hardly imagine a government agency blocking commercial aircraft registry where the industry is already suffering so much….. e.g. BA would certainly escalate that to the PM if there was a real issue.

LSZK, Switzerland

So this is “only” concerning EASA TC’d airplanes? Which would include “small” makers like Diamond and Airbus…. I’d really wonder what happens if an airline wishes to register a new Airbus and are told, sorry, no? Same would go for TBM’s and quite a few others…

Ok, Airbus usually have an FAA TC as well, Diamond probably too. So what about that, would they accept them on the basis of that?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

For airlines, they probably have a hotline to Grant Shapps (Transport minister) who will tell the CAA to do the work “or else”. For private owners, you’re just going to have to put it on an EASA reg or N reg, because I don’t see the political establishment lifing a finger to help.

Andreas IOM

RobertL18C wrote:

Have they lost the expertise to study the TC change and hence can’t validate it?

That would be my guess. Consensus seemed to be that when all the major competencies moved to EASA all the (semi-) competent people left the CAA and there is little real competence left. Plenty of nest-featherers and empire-builders though.

alioth wrote:

For airlines, they probably have a hotline to Grant Shapps (Transport minister) who will tell the CAA to do the work “or else”.

Indeed. The UK CAA exists, in part, to facilitate the airline business and so for them a solution will always be found – money talks. Private aviation doesn’t matter a damn.

Malibuflyer wrote:

UK CAA – as a completely independent national CAA – now either needs to set up a framework for unilaterally accepting foreign type certificates

That would be the sensible thing to do. Both the FAA and EASA are clearly competent and their TCs should just be accepted at face value, but the UK aviation establishment (and in particular the CAA) is steeped in a misguided notion that it is the best in the world and anything not invented here is probably foreign junk that shouldn’t be approved.

EGLM & EGTN

I wonder if this is applicable only to planes whose only TC is an EASA one?

Very few of those. Only Robins that I can think of, and their sales in the UK are negligible.

The CAA has lost most of its good people over the last 15 years and has become an ex RAF pension extension club, with a load of low level admin staff who know nothing about planes or aviation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message