Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bluemax - a solution to extracting data from your avionics?

Here.

They list all kinds of stuff but notably the old EDM700, which suggests that one would get a lot more storage and be able to extract the data a lot more conveniently.

Has anyone used this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This looks very interesting! I see that it has a tank selection sensor so without reading that would make the JPI even more useful? I see it’s EASA approved.

I will be buying something like this (did you see the Guardian Avionics device for the JPI Peter?)

United Kingdom

I have emailed Bluemax asking the EDM question.

Administrator

It seems to be certified for Cirrus Aircraft only – are there any Cirrus with EDM700 out there?

Germany

Has to be a Minor Alteration under Part 91

Administrator

That is an interesting question for the FAA-experts. The vendor states: “The EASA approval both provides evidence (”acceptable data") that it is a minor change…"

Is an EASA approval for a specific type “acceptable data” to install it as minor alteration in other types in the US?

Germany

To be honest, who really cares if it’s approved? Another example of government treating everybody like Children.

It’s hardly going to get tangled up in your flight controls and cause you to die. On the other hand it might spot a burnt exhaust valve or prevent you running out of fuel!

United Kingdom

Yes exactly! Anyway under FAA it clearly follows the Minor Alteration decision chart.

There is no need to get into the US-EASA BASA and mutual acceptability of design data, which is actually quite complicated AFAIK.

I emailed them with

Does this product expand the very limited storage capability of the EDM700,
as well as enabling data download over bluetooth or wifi?

and got:

Thank you for the inquiry. Yes, the bluemax module has internal storage for
times when a mobile device is not paired. The number of hours it will store
depends on the number of parameters saved but it should be like 100 hours.
It will also stream the data in real time to a mobile device and we provide
unlimited storage on flightdata.com

I need to check that the config described in their IM:

actually exists in my EDM, because I have never seen it.

did you see the Guardian Avionics device for the JPI Peter?

You mean the Smartlink. I vaguely recall it. It looks rather involved for just a simple “data buffer” for the EDM700.

Administrator

Are you buying one Peter? I am very tempted and on the verge of getting one this week.

In fact I was going to go for the Smartlink which was more than just a data buffer as it also displayed the EDM with a nice display. On the Bluemax, however, I like the tank selector switch which uses a magnet and a reid switch etc.

United Kingdom

I will get one for sure but need to check my EDM700 has that config for continuous data output.

Administrator
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message