Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Better display & storage for a JPI EDM700? (Guardian / Bluemax)

The EZSAVE program has been superceded. I believe the current program is called EZtrends but there is/was also a program called EZview. The EZtrends program will read the .JPI format and the program can output a .CSV file. But Mike Busch’s Savvy Aviation has a free online tool that also accepts the .JPI format and is very fast and useable. I’ve always found the JPI software rather slow and not so user friendly

Yes; I’ve used all of those. The problem is that a .jpi file contains multiple flights and I haven’t found a tool which does a batch convert from .jpi to (multiple) csv files. One has to open each .jpi file in EZtrends, select the desired flight, and export it as csv.

This stuff is straight out of the 1970s, when Jimmy Saville was presenting Top of the Pops

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am still having issues. If you manage to get there with your invertor and scope @Peter let me know.

If not I’ll buy a cheap USB dongle for my laptop and try it out. Bluemax say that they can tweak the software to read anything that comes out

United Kingdom

I have been looking at a corrupt .jpi file today for a friend. Part of sorting the data out is taking the .jpi file, decoding it then outputting the flights as individual CSV files. If I make the software presentable I can make it available, it’s command-line only though. The JPI dumped data format is not that easy to work with.

I have looked at making a small box that takes the EDM data, similar to the JPI one, but powered by USB or a couple of batteries. It would take the data from the EDM as the JPI downloader does but saves it internally, as .JPI and a CSV per flight (if configured to do so). Then to read it you plug it into a PC and it mounts as a USB stick and you take the data off. It wouldn’t be for live data, just simpler and cheaper than the JPI hardware downloader. Would that kind of thing be of use to anyone?

I still have not got around to doing that EDM700 output data test.

Would that kind of thing be of use to anyone?

Definitely.

The original JPI data format has been reverse-engineered; it is “out there”.

Administrator
Definitely.
The original JPI data format has been reverse-engineered; it is “out there”.

There are a few differing variants plus it’s different for EDM v2 and v3 firmware, though so far I can decode the EDM-700 on a friend’s plane OK.

I’ll have a rummage and dust off the design and see where I got to before COVID and the parts shortages hit.

I put a serial analyser on my friend’s plane a while ago now, just TX and GND were all that was needed. Pretty sure it was 9600,8,n,1 from memory.

I inquired with JPI about the specification of their proprietary .JPI format but the answer was they do not have time to reply because of covid. I’d never buy a product / engine monitor that forces me to use an ancient windows program to convert a proprietary file format to CSV.

always learning
LO__, Austria

That’s a really BS reply, which I would not give to anyone with an IQ over 5. But… that is how the world is today in so many areas.

A reasonable reason would be that they want to prevent other engine monitor mfgs use the same data format and thus be able to use the JPI software (perhaps a man-year of C++ hacking, assuming an average programmer calibre) to look at the data. I would do the same; you just can’t tell customers that in so many words because it makes you look like an exploitative capitalist, which we know nobody in the aviation business could possibly be

Administrator

It is a pretty poor response.

There is no reason why any other manufacturer would want to use their binary data format, it’s horrible! What would be the point? If I went to the expense of creating a new engine monitor, got it certified etc., I’d certainly hope to offer some software more current than the well out of date EZTrends package.

I can only think it is to kill off anyone wanting to write their own tool to visualise your engine data. Their tool is free, so it doesn’t really make any sense.

It is a compressed format; they also reduce the temperature resolution considerably for that purpose – here.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I haven’t found a tool which does a batch convert from .jpi to (multiple) csv files

Not exactly a solution to the problem but maybe it helps:

With the latest version of the BlueEDM app, you can

1. Import jpi files from elsewhere using e.g AirDrop or by receiving as mail attachment
  2. export those files as JSON data to wherever you need it

In combination with one of the conversion tools around (e.g. https://data.page/json/csv) that may do the trick. Depending on the particular tool, you may have to strip the non-flight related header data from the JSON output.

Disclaimer: BlueEDM was written for „home-use“ in the first place. It has been tested with exactly two different EDM 700 devices in two different planes on an iPhone 12 mini. No guarantee that it will work with any other configuration. Also, it’s iOS-only, no Android version available.

Germany
Sign in to add your message