Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Better display & storage for a JPI EDM700? (Guardian / Bluemax)

To be honest, who really cares if it’s approved? Another example of government treating everybody like Children.

It’s hardly going to get tangled up in your flight controls and cause you to die. On the other hand it might spot a burnt exhaust valve or prevent you running out of fuel!

United Kingdom

Yes exactly! Anyway under FAA it clearly follows the Minor Alteration decision chart.

There is no need to get into the US-EASA BASA and mutual acceptability of design data, which is actually quite complicated AFAIK.

I emailed them with

Does this product expand the very limited storage capability of the EDM700,
as well as enabling data download over bluetooth or wifi?

and got:

Thank you for the inquiry. Yes, the bluemax module has internal storage for
times when a mobile device is not paired. The number of hours it will store
depends on the number of parameters saved but it should be like 100 hours.
It will also stream the data in real time to a mobile device and we provide
unlimited storage on flightdata.com

I need to check that the config described in their IM:

actually exists in my EDM, because I have never seen it.

did you see the Guardian Avionics device for the JPI Peter?

You mean the Smartlink. I vaguely recall it. It looks rather involved for just a simple “data buffer” for the EDM700.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are you buying one Peter? I am very tempted and on the verge of getting one this week.

In fact I was going to go for the Smartlink which was more than just a data buffer as it also displayed the EDM with a nice display. On the Bluemax, however, I like the tank selector switch which uses a magnet and a reid switch etc.

United Kingdom

I will get one for sure but need to check my EDM700 has that config for continuous data output.

Administrator

When I installed my EDM I remember setting the K factor and Baud rate etc – I am glad you mentioned about continuous data output, I just assumed it would work. I’ll check tomorrow

P.S. Re another thread on LED lights, I installed it with my maintenance organisation at an Annual they checked my work – and I checked theirs

United Kingdom

@Archer-181

What is Smartlink?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mike Busch had hinted that someone was coming up with a box that plugs into some engine monitors and does an automated upload to savvyaviation.com.

I think it’d be great – today I keep a USB key in my GRT Sport EX EFIS which I remove after each flight, plug into my laptop, and then upload to savvy. It takes about 30 seconds, but it would be cool if it was automatic.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Smartlink is below

https://www.guardianavionics.com/flight-data-co-prevention-products-smartplane-system

I still can’t make up my mind which way to go! The Bluemax is smaller though

United Kingdom

It would need to contain a contract SIM card. One can get these down to about 3 quid a month but it would be quite a job for Savvy to manage this on a worldwide basis. They could do it as a part of their (not exactly cheap) analysis service…

OTOH I would not want a GSM/3G/4G radio running uncontrolled in the aircraft, in case of interference. It would have to be wired so it can be active only when the engine is not running, or when airspeed=0, etc.

It could also be set up to work automatically via your phone, but it will periodically break when the new version of the OS tightens up its permissions

Administrator

Hi Peter

It looks like on Pin 24 of the top Plug (Plug P1) there is an RS232 output that just sends out the data all of the time. All very interesting. Have you downloaded the App onto your phone? It has a nice demo mode.

As far as I remember, the main source of engine failure is running out of fuel. The best thing about this device is the reed switch which detects which tank is being used and then gives a fuel total for each tank. At present I have to write down “FUEL USED” at each tank change then do the sums on my knee pad. It all works well but extra stress when busy and if you lose track then you are in a mess. You know your exact fuel used but not which tank it’s in.

Luckily EASA are there to protect us from installing safety enhancing equipment

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 12 Feb 19:12
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message