Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine monitor with Carb temp 2 1/4 inch , which one?

I am musing over installing an engine monitor with the idea to download data and to finally get a carb temp indication.

Must have:

- 2 1/4 inch to replace the old single EGT gauge.
- Carb heat temperature
- Data logging/download preferrably via SD-Card or bluetooth
- EGT/CHT for 4 cylinders.
- EASA certified for Mooney M20C and O360 A1D.
- Budget: below 2k $ with install.

I was looking at the Insight G2, however I can’t find if they have EASA certification.
JP’s mostly don’t have carb temp

Alternative would be a simple analogue carb temp indicator, but TSO’d ones are also up to 600 USD.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

re carb T indicator, believe it or not, I removed mine during my last panel rebuild… reasons? Useless since:
A: never had carb ice on my ship (RV-6.9 O-360-A3A w/Vans standard air box & filter), even in moderate icing
B: looking at the needle in the yellow range is only half the truth since it just means ice could be, or not, building up, the truth teller being a drop in the MP
C: panel space and -weight gain

The instrument removed is a Mid-Continent Instruments, proudly (has to be…) manufactured in the US of A, Wichita, KS. Manufactured SEP22 2003, and was working good until removal. The instrument, MFG. NO. MD-11-3, and carb sensor, nil papers, are yours for nothing if interested.

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@DeeCee57 thank you. That is a very kind offer.

I will send you a PM.

What can I say…

@DeeCee57, many thanks. It was lovely meeting you and thank you very much!

EuroGA at it’s very best. And I’ll finally get my carb temp gauge installed which I’ve been missing since I have this plane.

When i owned the Cessna 150, I had several severe carb ice events so I got the exactly same gauge @DeeCee57 presented me with. The result was that I could see easily where the temperature was and use carb heat to maneuver outside the yellow range. Never had carb icing again.

With the Mooney, I had carb ice a couple of times, mostly on the ground. It will be very interesting.

my pleasure Mooney_Driver
Happy you can use that old stuff

Last Edited by Dan at 04 Oct 18:06
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I wonder if the oil temp sensor on the standard EDM700 could be used for carb temperature? It must work below zero, surely?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message