Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AMSAFE EMA airbag test box

Hello,

AMSAFE provides airbag systems to many aircrafts.

Every year, one has to test the system with a specific test box, depending on the kind of installation. For Cessna aircrafts the test box is PN 508668-201(actually for all aircrafts which have belts equipped with a single inflator).

So, Cessnas should not use the same test box than, for example, Cirruses (4 points belts with dual inflators, the PN test box is 508987‐401) … the latter being by far the most widely available.

However, I have heard from field, that the Cirrus test box, should also work with single inflator belts installations (such as Cessna or Mooney and others)

My question is: who has the experience and would be willing to share ?

Attached are the list of AMSAFE requirements, and a photo of the Cirrus test box.

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Alexandre

E510438_Rev_G_SDT_Reference_Guide_6_26_17_pdf

I wonder what is inside?

Presumably a continuity tester for the detonator(s)? AIUI, airbags are pyrotechnic and are activated by a mechanical G sensor. They do need electric power though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A 9V battery

AMSAFE sells that for around 2k$
And you need to have it calibrated every year

The box does not only test the detonator / inflator, it also checks the EMA (acceleration sensor) and continuity of the system (the system is activated when the buckles are locked)

Below, the test procedure, with the “Cessna” test box:

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 22 Aug 07:02
Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 12 Sep 20:22

Having had one of the airbags go off accidentally while work was being done on the aircraft, I would not try to tinker with it without knowing exactly what I’m doing.

The poor engineer who was inside spent a couple of days in hospital from the shock. Apparently the noise was unbelievable. All the staff at the maintenance facility thought it was an explosion.

EGTF, LFTF

What I understand is that you must be extremely careful when moving EMA (acceleration sensor), to be sure they have been disconnected.
Do you know what happened with your installation ??

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 12 Sep 20:22
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message