Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Single G5 AI with GAD29B interfaced to IFD540 - what do I see on G5?

I have an appointment soon to get my JPI engine monitor installed and I am entertaining the idea of installing a G5 attitude indicator while there.
A single G5 would be enough for me to get rid of my vacuum system so it seems like a big bang for the buck.

The question is; if I interface my IFD540 to G5 AI via GAD29B, what do I really see on the G5? I understand that the GPS track is displayed but will I also see the GPS and or VHF vertical/horizontal guidence needles during the approach?

It is not clear from the installation manual either. I will not install the G5 HSI. I just wonder if it is worth getting the GAD29B with a single G5 AI.
Baris

Switzerland

AFAIK uou should be able to get your ILS on it… Please check your autopilot config – many of those do NOT support G5 as AI.

EGTR

Hi @Baris

I have that config in my C172. G5 AI / GAD29B / IFD540, but including the GMU11. I also have a Sandel 3500 and Stec 30 a/p.
The G5 is connected to the IFD540 via both RS232 (rx only) and ARINC via CAN bus to GAD29B. The G5 data (including air data like Baro) is provided to the IFD540 via ARINC. That a/p is connected to and driven by the Sandel (and IFD540) and the G5 is not in the loop.

I don’t see the GPS track on my G5, but I suspect that is because that kind of data won’t display on an AI. By GPS track, I assume you mean the track line. The G5 does show the GPS DTK marker at the top, as well as GPS/gnd speed. It may also show VHF vertical/horizontal guidance but I must admit that I concentrate on the Sandel for that. If it is on the G5 then only on the edges, not the full needles, which would be why I don’t notice/use it.

I’m very happy with the combination, just wish I had the GFC500 instead of the Stec 30. I agree with the comment about checking your autopilot config.

You haven’t entered your home base in your profile, but since you’re in Switzerland you can’t be too far away. I’m based in Speck and you’re welcome to come by and take a look if you like. Just drop me a PM.

Last Edited by chflyer at 14 Jul 09:44
LSZK, Switzerland

arj1 wrote:

AFAIK uou should be able to get your ILS on it… Please check your autopilot config – many of those do NOT support G5 as AI.

No autpilot yet. I am hand flying.
Garmin added Piper PA24 on their GFC500 AML just a few weeks ago. I am waiting for easa to recognize it.
It will probably be another half year before I get that done. But I need a G5 anyway so I wanted to get that ball rolling now. Just curious if I should add the GAD29b already hoping it will communicate airdata to my IFD and display vertical/horizontal guidence on the G5 during approaches.

Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Just drop me a PM.

done:) thanks very much

Switzerland

arj1 wrote:

Please check your autopilot config – many of those do NOT support G5 as AI.

I’d say that only Garmin A/Ps support the G5 as AI as there is no way to get analog AI roll and pitch information out of the G5. (At least no way that is documented in the G5 STC IM.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 14 Jul 10:13
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Utilizing the new GAD 29B adapter, the G5 directional gyro (DG)/horizontal situation indicator (HSI) can interface with a variety of autopilots to provide heading and course error to drive the autopilot. With a compatible navigation source, the G5 can also interface with select autopilots for coupled flight in heading and navigation modes. Additionally, when interfaced with a GTN 650/750 or GNS 430W/530W, the G5 can provide GPSS roll steering navigation from the navigator to the autopilot. Pilots can simply select GPSS on the G5 and heading mode on the autopilot and the autopilot will fly smooth intercepts, holding patterns, procedure turns and more.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy, that’s all related to the G5 as HSI. Do you have the same for the G5 as AI? I think @Airborne_Again is likely right in the case of only one G5 acting as AI.

LSZK, Switzerland

I don’t (but would like to know). The Garmin manual shows GPSS for the G5 PFD?!

always learning
LO__, Austria

chflyer wrote:

@Snoopy, that’s all related to the G5 as HSI. Do you have the same for the G5 as AI? I think @Airborne_Again is likely right in the case of only one G5 acting as AI.

That’s not what I meant. I meant that there is no way to get pitch and roll information from the G5 or GAD29B for use with non-Garmin autopilots. This is stated as a limitation in the STC installation manual. One or two G5s doesn’t make any difference.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message