Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Course or guide for new aircraft owners?

Of course

What sort of plane do you own?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What sort of plane do you own?

Mint green Arrow that cannot be overlooked on any apron. ;-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Might I suggest you look for the regulation (CE) n° 2042/2003 of the commission of 20th November 2003 and possibly (JOUE L315 of 28.11.03)
These were I believe the starting point of the current regs when they were proposed to move from JAA to EASA.
I think it could well provide a base on which to build through the amendments to what is currently in place.
I have some handwritten notes which I did in April 2004, but I doubt if I copied everything. Of course it is in French and very technical and difficult for a non technical translator to translate to another language. It is comprised of 7 articles with the objectives, fields of application, definitions etc in matters pertaining to navigability and maintenance.
As for airport politics, I know nothing about that as I have never had to face it. It probably has more to do with individual locations than with EASA.

France

The problem is not so much finding and understanding the regs (part-ML is quite reasonable). The problem is getting shops and CAMOs (and in some cases national authorities) to accept what the regs say.

I know of one EuroGA member who was unceremoniously dumped by a CAMO after a disagreement over what the regs said, even though the national authority agreed with him about the interpretation. Peter has reported similar experiences with an avionics shop.

I have personally had more than one such disagreement with our CAMO, although all of them have so far been resolved amicably (even if not always the way I would have wanted).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Patrick wrote:

Mint green Arrow that cannot be overlooked on any apron. ;-)

Pictures of it does not exist ;-)

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Jun 10:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Pictures of it does not exist ;-)

Google finds everything :-)

To the topic, there are also homebuilts/experimentals and ULs. A different world regarding ownership/maintenance.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I started to make such a checklist for me from french texts (OSAC mainly).
To me, it remains quite a nation-dependent process.

LFOU, France

there are also homebuilts/experimentals and ULs. A different world regarding ownership/maintenance.

Yes indeed, and “permit” (using the term loosely here) have more legal freedoms, but the practical freedoms depend on the airfield-political situation in the same way for all types.

Also the main part of permit aircraft cost saving comes not from the greater certification-related freedoms (those help mainly at purchase-time) but from working on it yourself, or wangling help from somebody for no payment, and not accounting for the cost of the time.

I know loads of people owning certified and loads of people owning permit.

What tends to happen is that the permit owners escape the “airfield scene” and live at farm strips, where they can usually do what they like. These places tend to be refreshingly free of politics, and you can fly sunrise to sunset, and often beyond if you install lights, but the quid pro quo is the usual stuff e.g.

• often, waterlogged in the winter (can’t fly → back at the local airfield looking for PA28 syndicate shares )
  • often, no fuel (have to refuel at a nearby “airfield” → hassle, though ok for short local messing about)
  • more risk of vandalism (most UK cases of theft and major damage were at such deserted places)
  • poor funding arrangements with nobody in charge → the place gradually goes downhill
  • inward-looking community (I looked at some before I got the TB20 and found that unless my grandfather fought in the Boer War with the owner, there was no chance, but specifically they tend to not be welcoming unless you have a taildragger/vintage type, and they don’t like syndicates because they generate more activity, and “activity” is generally undesirable at a strip)

So, as I keep saying, you have to sort out the “ground situation” for your flying to deliver a good fun/hassle ratio.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Living where I live, 2-3 hours away from the nearest maintenance shop, and only a couple of them anyway, you have to be pretty persistent to go for a certified aircraft.

The only viable option is an experimental (RV, Lancair etc) or an UL

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message