Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Seneca: McCauley or MT propeller?

My 3 blade McCalley props for my Seneca have failed o/h so my choice is either new McCalley’s or the composite MT props, (which have a long waiting list of 20 weeks)
Anyone with knowledge / have fitted the MT props,.
MT props have a better ground clearance, 5 knots faster cruise, 5% better climb, quieter and less vibration
Price is about the same.

Both props failed ? How much time did they have ?
I hear MT props are great.
Just don’t be in any hurry for a purchase, repair or overhaul

LFOU, France

5 out of six blades out of limits 400 hrs since last oh in 2018, oh cost as much as new props !

My data point: if you fly on grass don’t use MT’s on airplanes with low-slung props like Seneca: I have complaints of LE fragility from different sources.
I also have one datapoint of bad result of MT with prop heaters a long time ago. Not an issue if non-deiced.

Other than performance, weight may be a positive MT argument depending on your mission.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I bought a Seneca II last October as my first twin. Since I have bought it, it has always had 3-blade MTs, which were freshly overhauled, dynamically balanced and are de-iced. The previous owner of the aircraft was MT Propeller itself, so that was to be expected. Before, I had a Mooney which also had a 3-blade MT.

I therefore have no comparison, but just the MT “experience” alone, which is: No complaints so far. I am happy with the performance in climb and cruise, compared to the aircraft I have flown while doing my MEP rating and also with the Mooney. I normally cruise at 2200/31.5 inches in the Seneca, which is a lot quiter than the Mooney was and which causes virtually no vibrations. I always use this setting, and have tried it up to FL160.

The MTs allow to have a reduced noise certificate on the Seneca II, altough this is maybe a rather Germany-related improvement, which might not even be available on the Seneca III upwards, as the RPM limit on the II is 2500rpm.

Other small hint: The ampere-meter for the pro de-ice shows lower values on the MTs, so it is out the green arc or at the lower end at least. MT told me this is normal for the MTs. Actual de-icing works fairly well on the props though.

Finally: I took me quite a while to do smooths landings with the Seneca, especially with a forward-CG. People told me, that this is a typical Seneca behaviour, but which is increased by the MTs. Maybe true for any 3-blade Seneca or even Senecas in general. However, I have managed to improved the technique after around 50-60 landings, so this should not be a show-stopper for a decision.

If you have the time or if you ever happen to be in Germany I am happy to show you.

EDTH, Germany

Antonio
What is LE fragility?
Do you have further info

Rob wrote:

What is LE fragility?

Leading Edge stainless strip dented or mostly released (scary and noisy) after encounter with grass or loose gravel.

Last Edited by Antonio at 24 Jun 19:03
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I like MT props, and have one on one of my planes. I have installed and flight tested a number of other installations, with great success. I’m not knocking McCauley, nor Hartzell, but I do prefer MT. Some of my reasoning is that the blades are not fatigue sensitive, and can be repaired if damaged. Generally they result in either a more quite plane, or at least a less “twangy” sound, if noise compliance is a concern. MT offer either a [smaller] stainless steel leading edge, which is good, or a nickle leading edge [more chord] which is more durable and protecting. The nickle leading edge is great to prevent erosion for floatplane use (I’m sure not a factor for a Seneca).

Though gravel damage from careless ground operation is possible (for either prop), the MT blades could be repaired for any damage, the metal blades will have a small tip damage allowance, then be scrap. I’ve seen MT blades, literally broken in half, being repaired in the factory. I did a full STC flight test program and approval for MT props on a Twin Comanche, and did see a performance improvement. Similarly, I flight tested the DA-42-L360 with both the MT’s and metal (I don’t remember which brand), and found the MT’s to be preferred.

One comment about changing from metal to composite, the prop has a lower polar moment of inertia, which means less flywheel effect. This is generally not a problem on a Lycoming, though with a weak starter or battery may mean that you have troubled starts. On Continental powered airplanes, it can be more of a problem, and damage the starter adapter if the prop kicks back (which is more possible with the MT) during the start. I’d still put an MT on Continentals (and have), but be very sure Mag timing is good, and the starting technique is correct to prevent kickbacks.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Thanks @PilotDAR.

The big difference we have seen is that for minor nicks and dents, any mechanic can do a blendout on a metal prop and you are back in service the next day.
With the MT, you almost always have to remove the prop and send it to shop, leaving you grounded for weeks and incurring a much more expensive shipping and repair fee.

OTOH, you get more and deeper dents on the MT’s not to mention of two instances of LE release I am personally aware of.

Do you have a different experience?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

With the MT, you almost always have to remove the prop and send it to shop, leaving you grounded for weeks and incurring a much more expensive shipping and repair fee.

Do you have a different experience?

Yes. I had blade damage on an MT Prop, on the ground (engine not running). My mechanic came with some kind of (epoxy?) glue, did the repair on site, and after some time (can’t remember if it was one night or like 3 days) to let the glue “set”, the plane was good to fly.

ELLX
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message