Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Merits of partial glass

and two days later our shop had sent us a loaner device

You have a very special relationship deal there

Where I am based I could not get a loaner cigar lighter plug.

How could I think that all of us here, flying around the world with our glass panels are just average pilots???

You aren’t

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

What about RVSM?
I don’t know any modular glass panel that can do modern (with VDL2) RVSM

I dont think the instrumentation is the big deal for RVSM. There are plenty of legacy Citations etc flying with RVSM approval but with steam gauges, partial efis, or full integrated systems. The RVSM approval is all about proving the accuracy of the altimetry, including the integrity of the static ports etc. I don’t think that a traditional altimeter can be good enough, but I got approval for a 1980’s Citation 501 by fitting a replacement digital altimeter and throwing a lot of money at test flights and manual writing.

In any case who apart from jets needs RVSM? Even King Airs are quite usable below FL290. And CPLDC? Who needs that?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

I reckon the answer is obvious: any issues with “glass” need a Garmin dealer! And if you are non-Garmin then you need a very good avionics shop, or a “captive” electronic chap who can fix stuff (like blown LCD backlight inverters) off the books.

there is plenty of glass which is not Garmin. And good avionic shops usually have loaner units available for such cases.

Changing an Aspen is very easy for instance, as the whole configuration stuff is outside the main unit in a module. Unless that breaks, it is plug and play. I even read one guy who updated from a normal Aspen to a Max was like this too for the same functionality. If i ever can afford it, I might get a 2nd full unit next to my current one to have a double setup if one packs it up.

If you loose your main gyro in Krete you are in a similar position, you need to get a spare fedexed to you to being able to continue.

When it comes to G1000 and similar integrated solutions, the main risk is upgrading. I would say, the G1000 is well enough known by now that most avionic shops know how to handle a defect.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

you need to get a spare fedexed to you to being able to continue.

Not just the spare but also a guy from the avionics dealer to install it, entering the special dealer-only codes to make it all work again.

I used to know a guy in the US who would sell me any Garmin product including the codes (which come on an SD card, IIRC).

People come across this regularly. They just don’t post it openly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

arj1 wrote: What about RVSM? I don’t know any modular glass panel that can do modern (with VDL2) RVSM

I dont think the instrumentation is the big deal for RVSM. There are plenty of legacy Citations etc flying with RVSM approval but with steam gauges, partial efis, or full integrated systems. The RVSM approval is all about proving the accuracy of the altimetry, including the integrity of the static ports etc. I don’t think that a traditional altimeter can be good enough, but I got approval for a 1980’s Citation 501 by fitting a replacement digital altimeter and throwing a lot of money at test flights and manual writing.

In any case who apart from jets needs RVSM? Even King Airs are quite usable below FL290. And CPLDC? Who needs that?

@Neil, for new aircraft (which had no TC before 2021) will not be able to be certified to RVSM without things like G1000 or G3000 – CPDLC became mandatory for new ones.
My point is not regarding retrofits, but regarding the new aircraft – it would not be possible. G600/G600 TXi does support RVSM, but not CPDLC, which means it could not be installed on HP aircraft, only the integrated cockpit. Which means the likes of C421/C340 (if something like that EVER enters the market) will either be limited to FL285 or have fully integrated glass panel installed.
For the retrofits – I don’t think you could install fully integrated glass into many aircraft, the choice is very limited.

EGTR

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If you loose your main gyro in Krete you are in a similar position, you need to get a spare fedexed to you to being able to continue.

You don’t though, do you?

Might depend of course exactly what you’re referring to, but if in traditional six-pack you lose either your AI or your DI you are not grounded – you can fly home VFR without these.

If your glass panel packs up and you don’t even have airspeed or altitude then you’re pretty stuck.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

you can fly home VFR without these

But you fly your Vagabond with door open, you will have no problem going all the way from Greece with TB10 if it’s glass goes off !

Remember we are talking about magenta 100% IFR pilots, high above weather kind of guys, how they are supposed to fly ATC vectors without working gyro DI for HDG and AI for Rate1 turns ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 May 15:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

If your glass panel packs up and you don’t even have airspeed or altitude

That’s what standby instruments are for…..

Ibra wrote:

Remember we are talking about magenta 100% IFR pilots, high above weather kind of guys, how they are supposed to fly ATC vectors without working gyro DI for HDG and AI for Rate1 turns ?

Indeed :-)

I’m sure they’d work it out, if there were no other way to get the plane home!

EGLM & EGTN

172driver wrote:

That’s what standby instruments are for…..

Are independent standbys mandatory for all installations? I genuinely don’t know, it’s not a facetious question.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message