Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530 exchange to Avidyne IFD540?

chflyer wrote:

The only Garmin GTN features that I currently miss on my IFD are a) IAPs with RF legs and b) en-route VNAV output stream for an a/p.

Does anyone know if those functions are going to be introduced any time soon?

EGTR

but there are claims that the GI275 STC is written in such a way that prevents this.

I think you will find plenty of US shops don’t worry about this

It comes back to the old argument that anything not shown on an STC cannot be connected.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Does anyone know if those functions are going to be introduced any time soon?

No one but Avidyne knows for sure. They stopped providing availability estimates a few years ago because delays just caused too much negative feedback. Now they are more like Garmin in that respect and announce availability when it happens.

The next major feature release will be 10.3. This has been in the pipeline for about 3 years so it must be getting fairly close, whatever “close” means. There has been some information released about what that will contain. This is on their forum and was mentioned in a webinar last summer. Two items of which I’m aware are RF legs and a higher resolution map including power lines. Enroute VNAV output to an a/p will definitely not make it into 10.3 and that might never make it since the GTN output data stream is Garmin proprietary.

LSZK, Switzerland

Enroute VNAV output to an a/p

Are there any GA avionics which do that i.e. you can program a vertical profile and the AP will climb/descend?

If so, which autopilot supports that?

@Denopa posted here about the Garmin GTN version, which presumably works only with a Garmin AP, because I don’t think any other AP supports vertical guidance except on an IAP. Interestingly and unsurprisingly the Garmin solution works only with descents, not climbs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Genesys say they’re working on it for the STEC3100, but so far it’s only the Garmin APs which have it, you’re right.

EGTF, LFTF
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message