Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Necessity to have actual AIRAC database on board and interval of database updates

I’m looking for some input on how often to update Garmin devices.

Is there a legal requirement that it was only allowed to fly IFR with the latest AIRAC cycle database? According to the FAA regulations answer seems to be “no”, I found the relevant regulation AIM 1-1-19 to read, that flying an IFR approach with an approved GPS “requires current database or verification that the procedure has not been amended since the expiration of the database”.

But is this true also in the land of EASA? I found Annex to Decision 2016/021/R here but am not sure if this is applicable at all and where and how. Is this for commercial operation? Or for any operation including non-commercial?

It states in AMC2 SPO.GEN.107Pilot-in-command responsibilities and authority

DATABASE SUITABILITY (d) An expired database may only be used if the following conditions are satisfied:(1) … and (5) the database has expired by no more than 28 days.

This would mean that any IFR operation was prohibited including, for example, enroute GPS navigation, where ILS or VOR approaches could still be used. Is this true?

Last Edited by UdoR at 15 Apr 09:23
Germany

UdoR wrote:

But if no such amendment is made, can I fly with the (old) database and make any such approach? Is there a legal requirement that it was only allowed to fly with the latest AIRAC cycle database?

I assume that you flying noncommercially? In that case part-NCO applies and not part-SPO. The relevant rule is AMC2 to NCO.GEN.105 “Pilot-in-command responsibilities and authority”

[…]
DATABASE CURRENCY
(b) The database validity (current AIRAC cycle) should be checked before the flight.
(c) Navigation databases should be current for the duration of the flight. If the AIRAC cycle is due to change during flight, the pilot-in-command should follow procedures established by the pilot-in-command to ensure the accuracy of navigation data, including the suitability of navigation facilities used to define the routes and procedures for the flight.
(d) An expired database may only be used if the following conditions are satisfied:
..(1) the pilot-in-command has confirmed that the parts of the database which are intended to be used during the flight and any contingencies that are reasonable to expect are not changed in the current version;
..(2) any NOTAMs associated with the navigational data are taken into account;
..(3) maps and charts corresponding to those parts of the flight are current and have not been amended since the last cycle;
..(4) any MEL limitations, where available, are observed; and
..(5) the database has expired by no more than 28 days.

AFAIU, the ops rules apply to all operators, certainly European operators, regardless of the aircraft registration.

This would mean that any IFR operation was prohibited including, for example, performing ILS or VOR approaches, where at least partly navigation (enroute part?) is based on GNSS data. Is this true?

Yes, if Performance-Based Navigation is required for some part of the flight and the database does not satisfy the requirements above, then you can’t fly IFR. ILS and VOR approaches as such would not be prohibited as you don’t need a data base to fly them.

Whether PBN is required or not depends on the country and the airspace/route but as a rule I would expect it to be required.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Apr 09:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes it’s part NCO of course, found it too. Still quite confusing. However, the rule is the same: database may not be expired by more than 28 days.

As this is not distinguished in between enroute part and approaches, for instance, I would have to mark the GPS as INOP if it’s not up-to-date?

Last Edited by UdoR at 15 Apr 09:34
Germany

The database currency requirements are determined by the GPS AFMS.

See for example here and here

That’s the legal position. The practical position can differ e.g. an IR examiner is likely to refuse to fly with you if your database is even 1 cycle behind.

Otherwise, you can do this to reduce database costs

Then you get the practical issue of how long can your GPS run with an expired database. Not a whole lot of actual data on that; some here. I think all of them will run enroute data for ever but will refuse to load approaches after some months.

GPS databases come out on the 28 day AIRAC cycle. However, Jeppesen issue 26 or so updates each year for their Jeppview/Jepp-FD PC/tablet products.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

AMC2 to NCO.GEN.105

Airborne_Again wrote:

..(5) the database has expired by no more than 28 days.

@Airborne_Again, as it is an AMC, does that mean that I can develop my own AMC (for example, verify that ALL points I can use a flight are still correct) and fly with any old database?

EGTR

From one friend experience, an IRE refused to fly with 2 day after AIRAC expiry (although the rules allow you 28days and cross-checking the updated with plates), for IFR en-route in PBN airspace (CAS? & above FL100 or FL60?) you will surely need up to date GPS to tick the box

In UK, for IFR flying OCAS bellow FL95 you don’t even need GPS in your aircraft

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Apr 11:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

as it is an AMC, does that mean that I can develop my own AMC (for example, verify that ALL points I can use a flight are still correct) and fly with any old database?

This is exactly what I seek to know.

Germany

Peter wrote:

The database currency requirements are determined by the GPS AFMS

Is that so? In the STC / AFMS I read, that verification of data is allowable in the case that the database has expired. This would be nice indeed.

Germany

arj1 wrote:

Airborne_Again, as it is an AMC, does that mean that I can develop my own AMC (for example, verify that ALL points I can use a flight are still correct) and fly with any old database?

As it is in part-NCO, yes you should be able to do that.

Peter wrote:

The database currency requirements are determined by the GPS AFMS.

Certainly you have to follow the requirements in part-NCO. (Unless, as arj1 says, you develop your own AltMOC.) You probably also have to follow what’s in the AFMS.

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message