Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Display of Mode-A/C/S transponding traffic and Golze ADL weather, on the same device

Peter wrote:

so radiating ads-b OUT gives you no safety against getting close to one, or probably a bizjet either.

Yes that is true but just to be sure the only scenario I can imagine where an airliner would not see you is if you have an 1090 MHz (or 978 but not in Europe) ADS-B out device like the SkyEcho II and nothing elise. All other 1090 ADS-B out devices will also act as a normal Mode S transponder and you might still have a separate Mode A/C/S transponder which would also be detected by an airliner.
So probably with the SkyEcho II the typical senario I imagine are people operating it in parallel with some legacy Mode C/S transponder?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Yes indeed there is no way to radiate certified ADS-B OUT in Europe without having a Mode S transponder, and the Mode C functionality of that will be visible to an airliner TCAS 2 system. It will also be visible to any TCAS 1 system like my TAS605.

But with standalone ADS-B OUT boxes you can radiate just ADS-B OUT. And with nearly all of them you will be invisible to all certified ADS-B IN systems, and to all TAS/TCAS systems.

Sebastian – is there a scenario where someone might want to display combined ADL wx and TCAS 1 traffic, on the same display device? I am not sure either way because anyone with TAS/TCAS 1 will already be displaying that traffic on a panel mount device (PFD, GPS, EHSI, etc) and that is usually much neater than displaying it on a tablet. But someone might want to duplicate that on the tablet on which they have the ADL wx displayed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

So probably with the SkyEcho II the typical senario I imagine are people operating it in parallel with some legacy Mode C/S transponder?

Well they should. Except for the UK and Australia, the SkyEcho’s transmission should be disabled.

EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

But with standalone ADS-B OUT boxes you can radiate just ADS-B OUT. And with nearly all of them you will be invisible to all certified ADS-B IN systems, and to all TAS/TCAS systems.

I thought I understood how all this works, but now I’m not sure. How are you invisible to certified ADS-B IN systems? I thought a standalone ADS-B OUT (such as SkyEcho II) would be transmitting on 1090 MHz / Mode S ES, and that all certified ADS-B IN would be receiving on that as well.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

derek wrote:

I thought I understood how all this works, but now I’m not sure. How are you invisible to certified ADS-B IN systems? I thought a standalone ADS-B OUT (such as SkyEcho II) would be transmitting on 1090 MHz / Mode S ES, and that all certified ADS-B IN would be receiving on that as well.

It could be the ADS-B out box is transmitting a lower than required SIL level, bascially the quality of the GPS signal beeing non certified etc. The certified ADS-B in system might then discard the data and not display the target based in that SIL level.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

It is to do with SIL=0 being invisible to certified ADS-B IN systems, etc – examples here.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It is to do with SIL=0 being invisible to certified ADS-B IN systems

I need to double check, but I think my SkyEcho II defaults to SIL=1 (although SDA=0. Not sure if that makes a difference)

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I’ve settled on a Pilot Aware, plus iPad plus ADL with the PaW as the hotspot and the ADL passing through weather only (no GPS).

They work together well.

It would be interesting if there was a way to merge ADL wx data with my TAS605 (soon to be TAS605A ADS-B IN) traffic data (Mode A/C/S transponder targets, plus ADS-B), and display that on the KMD550 and the two SN3500 EHSIs.

And I don’t mean displaying metars and tafs as discussed e.g. here. I mean just showing the wx images. It is already possible on Avidyne IFD GPSs.

The TAS6xx transmits traffic as ARINC429 although there is an RS232 option. No idea if either is documented but the ARINC429 version is not going to be too opaque.

Thread renamed to reflect accurately what I think the OP was really asking about.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

display that on the KMD550 and the two SN3500 EHSIs

The question is if those devices can display ADS-B FIS-B weather at all and if yes what format they expect. I made a quick search and it seems the KMD was actually designed to display old fashioned VDL weather data in the US which probably no longer exists. So the question is if àt some point they did an upgrade to display FIS-B weather instead.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message