Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond survey for avionics upgrade

You hope that someone at Garmin made stockpile of GIA63W somewhere and he’s ready to send you refurbished unit as a replacement for yours which will then be refurbished and return to stock.

I would not feel safe, for sure

Maybe one day, when everyone has shifted to Gia64, there will be as much 63w as you find 63 on the market today.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 28 Nov 15:38

Maybe one day, when everyone has shifted to Gia64, there will be as much 63w as you find 63 on the market today.

The problem is that there’s not much incentive for moving to GIA64. Some aircrafts can’t be moved because of missing STC, some don’t see the need or can’t get it at competitive price.

In Diamond fleet there’s only few tens of early DA62 NXi that can be upgraded for low pice.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So maybe, it will never happen :-)

So maybe, it will never happen :-)

Or we’ll be old enough to not care :-)

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Or more concerned about petroleum exhaustion :-)

That said, do you really lack LPV capability ? Or wish to go NXi ?

That said, do you really lack LPV capability ? Or wish to go NXi ?

In reality, I’ve not yet been in situation to be limited by LNAV minimum and needed LPV to go lower. Either the weather was good enough with minima above LNAV or airport was equipped with ILS. However, I flew few times close to LNAV minima and I must admit that it would be easier with glideslope.

Upgrade to NXi results with replacing practically all LRUs which are now out of production which means piece of mind for at least next 10 years. I’m pretty sure that legacy G1000 equipped aircrafts will have problems retaining value at 2nd hand market regardless low engine hours or airframe good condition.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 Nov 20:53
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You’ll be old enough to not care !

That’s fair point.
But what an expensive solution.

Hi Emir

Diamond launched campaign of upgrading older DA62 to most recent NXi hardware at super attractive pricing

As an older DA62 owner I can’t say the campaign has been very successful, nor would I think it was super attractive pricing. As an early DA62, I have Phase 1 NXi – which is still a darn sight better than a non-NXi unit – but I can’t see any reason why a five figure sum should be spent upgrading to Phase 2 NXi. (ignoring the fact I don’t like the new GMA unit – the old one is simpler for volume mixing).

I have flown the Phase 2 NXi units and I honestly can’t see why anyone would be willing to spend thousands of Euros and incur aircraft downtime, plus the risk of things not working when the software is loaded. If Diamond are after the old GIA63 units, it needs to be way more attractive an offer than currently stands. The DA62 already has some unreasonable extra expense compared to the DA42.

DA62
EGTK, United Kingdom

There are used GIA63Ws available on the second-hand market:

https://www.seaerospace.com/documents/promotions/SEA-G1000Spares_1911.pdf

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Can these be “just installed and they just work”?

We did this here before and nobody knew, or if someone knew they weren’t saying. One US dealer I asked can certainly get the “boxes” but he didn’t think they would “just work”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message