Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond survey for avionics upgrade

350 owners responded until today which is pretty OK according to Diamond. 3 days still to go.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’m resurrecting this thread to share some new Information. As a result of survey, Diamond launched campaign of upgrading older DA62 to most recent NXi hardware at super attractive pricing. The result is getting certain amount of GIA63W units that can be used for WAAS upgrading DA40s and DA42s also at attractive price. In parallel Diamond (Garmin) is working on GDU v15 which will be available March 2022 for WAAS enabled DA42 TDI. That version will also support using all versions of GIA63W (unlike v 9.x which supports only version -01) and of course it will enable owners to install GIA63W without paying expensive STC. It’s not ideal progress of DA42 TDI avionics upgrade but it’s still something.

However, having in mind that GIA63W is scarce now, I wonder about it’s availability as a spare part in future. In other words I have question: why to go for un upgrade with already obsolete and practically unavailable hardware? Also, based on responses within survey, I concluded that DA42 TDI owners are willing to invest substantial amount of money to avionics in order to close the gap between expected airframe lifetime (50+ years) and currently installed obsolete avionics. It’s not only about increasing utility of the aircraft but also about serviceability and maintaining its market value.

I’ve opened thread about it at DAN forum because it’s a place more frequented by Diamond owners. However, I’m writing here about it because this is place more frequented by broader community and some personal contacts and spreading information can increase the visibility and get more people on board.

The idea is to upgrade DA42 TDI to most recent G1000 NXi hardware (GIA64, GEA71B, GMA1360 and NXi screens) as well as GFC700 autopilot.

I understand that Diamond (and Garmin) will move only if we show them real numbers and money. Yesterday, I sent e-mails to some 20+ DA42 TDI owners with whom I’m in some kind of contact. Based on replies I got, I believe that we’re able to get critical mass in building business case and getting upgrade at competitive pricing.

So, if you’re DA42 TDI owner and you haven’t already received e-mail from me on this topic, please send me PM, we’ll exchange contact data and proceed with this initiative.

If you are not DA42 TDI owner but you know one, please get his attention to this thread.

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Nov 10:48
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’m sure you targeted some ATO that are plenty of older da42 and would like to upgrade their older avionics. That would be interesting for them as they can’t provide full PBN training witt LPV approaches. For most the PBN diff training are done on sim, but still they will have to upgrade their da42 or replace by NG version. From financial point of view, there’s no match…
We have plenty of these ATO in france.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

I’m sure you targeted some ATO that are plenty of older da42 and would like to upgrade their older avionics. We have plenty of these ATO in france.

Not so many ATOs on my list and I would be very grateful if you can get any of them to this initiative.

That would be interesting for them as they can’t provide full PBN training witt LPV approaches. For most the PBN diff training are done on sim

Do you have any reference link for this? I was under impression that PBN can be done if any of required approaches can be flown e.g. legacy G1000 can load LNAV approach and you can fly it even coupled with KAP140.

but still they will have to upgrade their da42 or replace by NG version. From financial point of view, there’s no match…

Diamond openly claims that training organizations are their priority which doesn’t make private owners happy. Maybe they have special deals for ATOs for NG upgrade. Or ATOs opt for a cheaper way to get WAAS with replacing GIA63 with GIA63W. But it’s not something that private owners aim for while ATOs can be ok with that approach. ATOs don’t care much about the autopilot, screen resolution, automation of loaded flight procedures and even about resale value of the aircraft while for private owners all these things do matter a lot.

However, onboarding ATOs to this initiative will help greatly with increasing the number of aircrafts to be upgraded.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Do you have any reference link for this? I was under impression that PBN can be done if any of required approaches can be flown e.g. legacy G1000 can load LNAV approach and you can fly it even coupled with KAP140.

Legacy DA42 can’t load baro VNAV, only LNAV/VNAV and it won’t intercept any glide (even the garmin one) although the DV will follow it. And in order to get the PBN approval, you need to fly some of these. Calvi is a good example as it has LPV, Baro VNAV and LNAV and the 3D ones are greyed.
You can do it on a sim to get this approval. Our ATO keeps the DA42ng for integrated cursus, the Modular CPL/IRME will keep the legacy DA42 and then will not fly the 3D approaches in real, only on the SIM.
I have started to look into the part-FCL to get some reference but there’s a lot of stuff into it. :P.

I’ll try to discuss with the boss about this point next week, he may be interested after all.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 26 Nov 22:08
LFMD, France

I have started to look into the part-FCL to get some reference but there’s a lot of stuff into it. :P.

I’ll try to discuss with the boss about this point next week, he may be interested after all.

Thanks!

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Nov 23:07
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

greg_mp wrote:

Legacy DA42 can’t load baro VNAV, only LNAV/VNAV

If you don’t have SBAS, then LNAV/VNAV is the same thing as baro-VNAV.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Nov 09:08
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yep, thanks to correct this.

LFMD, France

However, having in mind that GIA63W is scarce now, I wonder about it’s availability as a spare part in future

I like this sentence.
When I play with the idea of a WAAS upgrade, in the hypothetical event I find two nicely priced GIA63W (let’s say 5k€ for both – I would not pay more for LPV), I can’t help but thinking about this.
If I loose one GIA63, there are tons of replacement units to buy second hand for little money.
If I loose a GIA63W, what do I do ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 28 Nov 12:05

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

If I loose a GIA63W, what do I do ?

You hope that someone at Garmin made stockpile of GIA63W somewhere and he’s ready to send you refurbished unit as a replacement for yours which will then be refurbished and return to stock.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message