Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Proposed AD for PA-28 wing spars

Well just in case, we are looking for a right wing for a -161.

ESMK, Sweden

There’s a new SAIB from the FAA on this subject:

FAA_AIR_21_10_PA_28_spars_June_29_2021_pdf

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

We are no longer looking for a right wing.

As we could observe visually, the defect that made the eddy check go crazy is a very small tangential mark in one of the spar holes, likely caused by a bolt thread during installation and tightening of the bolt itself.
We received confirmation from Piper yesterday that this little mark is not a crack nor crack initiation, and does not need fixing. So on with the wing.

Now we just need to overhaul the engine (this plane’s engines had lots of hours left, and was moved to the second plane of the fleet when than one ran out of extensions), but that’s a very simple problem in comparison.

ESMK, Sweden

Pilot_DAR wrote:

There’s a new SAIB from the FAA on this subject:

This is the galvanic corrosion I was mentioning on a post in this thread. These steel plates are slightly rusted on many of the PA28s that I’ve looked at.

United Kingdom

Quick question to any eddy current testers for this PA28 AD.

I was randomly reading about the general process and I know the AD was to do with the bolt holes does this apply or is it in general?

A disadvantage of the testing what does this actually mean?

ECT current always runs parallel to the surface of a material, so a defect that doesn’t come in direct contact with the current can’t be detected—and this means that some defects may go undetected

Thanks

Sign in to add your message