Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for tips Elba LIRJ

So I checked the challenging northerly approach and realised the high value per liter AVGAS on the island. It also seems as if there was no PPR for us.

Is there anything more to know for flying to Elba?

And what about Marina di Campo, where do we have to go? What do we have to see?

First time without kids. Really excited :-)))

I read through the threads here in the forum and extracted already lots of infos. No engine run on stony grass. And so on.

here

here

Peters homepage

here

And here

Was more interested in if anything’s new or changed.

Last Edited by UdoR at 06 Jul 17:54
Germany

You misssd the most important one…

here

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

You misssd the most important one

Oh indeed! Missed that. Didn’t know you had infos particularly for Elba. In fact includes some infos I was missing, like “how do I actually get there from the Alps”

Thanks a lot for the writeup!

Germany

100LL on Elba was €3.50 in “normal” times so you may get a surprise if you try it now, because 100LL is that much right now at LFAT

Actually the most recent LIRJ report on our airport database says it is around €4, which is a smaller jump than I expected.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

16 approach is quite tricky indeed (history of incidents/accidents for both private and commercial flights). Airport very GA friendly (beside high Avgas prices).
If you like crystalline sea, you should go to Marina di Campo only if wind is from north, otherwise go to Procchio (almost same distance as Marina). If you like to visit a larger city, with museums, many restaurants/shops, and a nice touristic port go to Portoferraio, but a bit far from airport.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

it is around €4, which is a smaller jump than I expected.

Received an email today, reported at 3.944 per liter.

Germany

Peter wrote:

100LL on Elba was €3.50 in “normal” times so you may get a surprise if you try it now, because 100LL is that much right now at LFAT

Actually the most recent LIRJ report on our airport database says it is around €4, which is a smaller jump than I expected.

I was there June 19-22 and the price was indeed just a shade under €4.00 (I think is was €3.96 or something like that …. I didn’t refuel).

LSZK, Switzerland

mancival wrote:

16 approach is quite tricky indeed (history of incidents/accidents for both private and commercial flights). Airport very GA friendly (beside high Avgas prices).

There may be a lot of reports about incidents related to the R16 approach, but I wonder about the pilot skill and/or weather. I’m not aware of any accidents, so would be interested in seeing any links to reports of them.

I flew in that route 2.5 weeks ago for the first time (C172) in cavok weather but with some trepidation given the “reputation”. It was a non-event. All my previous arrivals/departures had been over the sea. Of course, I’m based in Switzerland and flying around hills/mountains doesn’t send me into panic like it seems to for many UK pilots. There were two German PC-12 ahead of me and they also clearly had no problems, although they appeared to be regular charter commercial traffic as both had the same paint and logo and the pilots wore white shirts with bars in the 30+ degree weather. (compared to my t-shirt and shorts).

Service was friendly and efficient. The Elbabycar car rental people are very friendly and try hard to please. We had rented a mini-van for 9 and weren’t reachable when they tried to contact us to let us know that their single van wasn’t available. When we arrived with no mini-van on hand, they arranged 2 cars (we were 6 people) one being a “cool” convertible and gave us a price reduction so the total was only slightly more than the van. Cars are better than a van anyway, given the road conditions.

Elba is one of my favourite flying destinations in Italy. Napolean house is a must-see, as is a visit to Capoliveri. Lido di Capoliveri is a great choice for the beach.

For restaurants try
Koala in Capoliveri (especially in the terrace garden)
Koala
and Giardino in Porto Azzuro (be sure to try the appetizer “degustatione”)
Giardino

….. but don’t forget to make a reservation, they’re both very popular.

Last Edited by chflyer at 07 Jul 22:31
LSZK, Switzerland

Nice pic, Chflyer

I also don’t remember it being a difficult approach. Like the Portoroz one, one needs to be fully configured for landing when on the downwind leg, and make the turn to final as a descending turn to unload the wings.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also didn‘t find it very difficult. For fuel you might consider flying the short leg to Bastia and refuel there …

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message