Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for destinations to fly to in Czech Republic

Our summer vacation is approaching and I slowly start to do some planning regarding the destination. As we have never been in Czech Republic I’m looking for some nice places to go if the weather permits. The following boxes should be ticked if possible.

• After landing, the “touristic attraction” should be in reachable distance by bike and in walking distance for our dog. That means not more then approximately 8 kilometers. (Public transport close by is an option of course as well.)
  • We love to visit small grass fields, especially if there are lakes, rivers or nice hiking places nearby.
  • Anyway we are looking also for destinations like Cheb, Prague or Olomouc to visit cities with a bit of culture.
  • Restaurant tips to eat well are also welcome.
  • From time to time we need some Avgas.

So if anybody out there has some recommendations, please post it. I will have an immediate look on the spot to check for our plannings. Thanks in advance.

EDDS , Germany

I don’t have a good overview of Czech Republic, but my personal places are:

• Brno airport is quite welcoming and not “huge price” like Prague Ruzyně. The city is cute.
  • I got my “adult learn to fly” push after a tour of the Krkonoše mountains area departing from a grass airfield. Probably Vrchlabi LKVR. I don’t particularly remember there being any public transport to the airfield. There was some kind of eatery at the airfield, and it was in a green area.
ELLX

eddsPeter wrote:

After landing, the “touristic attraction” should be in reachable distance by bike and in walking distance for our dog. That means not more then approximately 8 kilometers. (Public transport close by is an option of course as well.)
We love to visit small grass fields, especially if there are lakes, rivers or nice hiking places nearby.
Anyway we are looking also for destinations like Cheb, Prague or Olomouc to visit cities with a bit of culture.
Restaurant tips to eat well are also welcome.
From time to time we need some Avgas.

Prague/Letňany will check all the boxes except possibly the restaurant one.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Karlovy Vary is also very nice but full of tourists. But I guess same goes for Prague :-)

EDLE

I also recommend Karlovy Vary. It’s a lovely town and as it has a lot of thermal activities, you can find plenty of hotel/restaurants.

LKKV is an IFR airport and is close to the city center. I’m planning to fly there end of August as I attend a sporting event in CZ.

Switzerland

I’d suggest:

First arrive to Karlovy Vary, LKKV. See also here.
The city is easily reachable on a bike. The opposite way is, well, a bit uphill. By renting a car you can enjoy the surroundings, the city of Loket shall be highlighted.
From LKKV I’d fly southeast along the Sumava mountain range, it is a nice 3D experience; and land at Ceske Budejovice, LKCS
From the airport you reach the city center by bike in a couple of minutes. And, with a car you can get to Cesky Krumlov, a good place to see.
Then I’d fly north along the river Vltava, towards Praha. In the evening sun the views of the river are especially breathtaking.
Well, in Praha the recommendation of Letnany LKLT is a good one, as there is an easy access via subway to the city center. If you choose LKKL instead and the timing is right, I can give you a lift from the airport to the city and/or back.
Where from Praha? Yes, Olomouc LKOL is a great choice. The airport is just at the edge of the city, and the city itself is beautiful.
In terms of swimming, just recently I was amazed by the lake Most, a former coal mine very close to the LKMO. Fantastic recreational area with clean water. You can get there on the way back from Olomouc, you can fly along the northern mountains, Krkonose with the country highest peak Snezka, then via Liberec LKLB to enjoy the amazing Jested TV tower, and then along Krusne hory back home.

Dvur Kralove LKDK is a great field to visit Kuks. Also the surrounding nature is nice and the nearby ZOO as well.

Mlada Boleslav LKMB has a really good restaurant on field. It’s upscale but really worth it… You can than make a short hop to Mnichovo Hradiste LKMH to visit Drabske svetnicky or do some wakeboarding on a nearby pond.

LKBE

I was born there so I should know, but I don’t When I was there, 1957-1969, travelling was a huge undertaking.

There are a number of lovely historic towns.

@pytlak may be able to make more suggestions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you all for the amazing tips.

@Pavel thank you for offering us a lift at LKKL. I think we will use LKLT but I willgive you a notice when we are at Prague. So we may have a drink together.

From LKKV I’d fly southeast along the Sumava mountain range, it is a nice 3D experience; and land at Ceske Budejovice, LKCS
From the airport you reach the city center by bike in a couple of minutes. And, with a car you can get to Cesky Krumlov, a good place to see.

Looks great, also there are many cultural activities during summer. And the lake Most will be for sure a stop on our way. Our dog will love it to cool down while swimming there.

@honza thank you for your recommendation:

Dvur Kralove LKDK is a great field to visit Kuks.

We would have never came across this nice place.

Mlada Boleslav LKMB has a really good restaurant on field.

And this looks like, you completely understood our taste.

EDDS , Germany
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message